Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Mapstone and Spitale labs at the University of California, Irvine, are seeking a bioinformatics associate to collaborate with scientists in the development of data-analysis pipelines for Next-Generation Sequencing analysis methods. Final candidate will be hired into the Specialist series. Salaries are competitive and commensurate with experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Work closely with the Bioinformatics Team to program, test and maintain bioinformatics software and pipelines. Routinely run pipelines to process customer data and generate reports.
• Coordinate with R&D personnel in the analysis and processing of next-generation sequencing data, including search and collection of data from public biological databases.
• Maintain technical materials, protocols, and application notes on data analysis.
Education and Experience
• Holds a Master or Doctorate degree in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, or a related discipline. Applicants with a strong biological background, with emphasis on analysis of large biological datasets are strongly encouraged.
• Competent in statistical and data science programming (ideally using the R language).
• Familiar with Linux/Unix operating systems and running/scripting applications from the command line.
• Ability to simultaneously manage and execute multiple projects.
• Willingness to follow best-practices for code documentation and revision control.
• Required: Ability to program competently in Python, and R including plotting, regressions, and hypothesis testing. Ability to script the execution of applications in a Linux command-line environment. Must be highly organized, attentive to details, possess excellent communication skills and be proficient in Excel and Word.
• Preferred: Familiarity with Amazon Web Services EC2 and S3. Biological research experience.
• Scientific knowledge
• Interpersonal skills
• Team Player
• Communication skills - verbal and written
• Listening skills
• Problem analysis and problem-solving
• Attention to detail and accuracy
• Data collection
• Customer service orientation
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
• Ongoing Scientific Reading habits
Application Procedure: Submit curriculum vitae, cover letter, and names of three references via UC Irvine’s online application system, RECRUIT, located at: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/JPF05226
A statement that addresses past and/or potential contributions to diversity, equality and inclusion should also be included in the application materials.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to diversity will advance UCI's Commitment to Inclusive Excellence.
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3 required (contact information only)