Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Pending funding, the Program in Academic English anticipates hiring Lecturers to teach Academic English courses and participate in other departmental activities. Appointments will range from 50% time (4 classes; e.g., 3 in fall quarter, 1 in winter quarter) to 100% time (8 classes; e.g., 3 in fall quarter, 3 in winter quarter, 2 in spring quarter).
Fall quarter service period: 9/23/2019-12/13/2019
Winter quarter service period: 1/2/2020-3/20/2020
Spring quarter service period: 3/25/2020-6/12/2020
- PhD or MA degree in Applied Linguistics or a related field. Current PhD or MA candidates must have their degree conferred by the beginning of instruction on September 25, 2019 to be eligible for employment.
- Ability to teach academic reading, writing, and/or oral communication courses that align with the Program's goals of serving the diverse literacy needs of multilingual students at a research university.
- Experience teaching multilingual students in a university program.
- Cross-cultural teaching experience, including the instruction of multilingual international students.
- Record of ongoing professional development and achievement
- Knowledge of critical pedagogy, critical applied linguistics, intercultural rhetoric, EAP, ESP, ELF, WAC/WID, and/or World Englishes
- Experience teaching composition online or in a computer lab
- Experience teaching content-based English to students in history, biological sciences, economics or other discipline areas
- Experience teaching upper-division composition in university settings
- Experience teaching reading in university settings
- Experience teaching oral language skills in university settings
- Experience teaching graduate students
STARTING SALARY: $6,512.38 per course
APPLICATIONS should be submitted electronically at: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/JPF05301
1-3 Letters of Recommendation are required for applicants who have not previously taught in the Program. Letters of Recommendation are optional for those who have taught or are currently teaching in the Program. For more information, please contact: Stephanie Wijetilleke, email@example.com Review of applications will begin and continue until the position(s) are filled. The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Teaching - See our guidance for writing a reflective teaching statement.
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 0-3 letters of reference required