Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The University of California, Irvine (UCI) invites nominations and applications for the Susan and Henry Samueli Endowed Chair in Integrative Health in the School of Medicine & Director of Research, Susan Samueli Integrative Health Institute.
The University of California, Irvine received an historic gift from Susan and Henry Samueli in September 2017. This transformational contribution allowed for the naming and establishment of the Susan and Henry Samueli College of Health Sciences, which is focused on interdisciplinary integrative health. As the first university-based health sciences enterprise to incorporate integrative health research, teaching, education, and patient care amongst its schools and programs, The Susan and Henry Samueli College of Health Sciences is a vital and evolving part of the University of California, Irvine and the surrounding communities.
Applicants should have an exemplary track record of improving health and wellness through understanding biological effects of, and/or have experience in clinical translational studies of complementary health interventions, which is defined by the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH) as using non-mainstream practice together with conventional medicine.
Investigators who have interest and experience in the following areas are encouraged to apply:
- Biological effects and mechanisms of action underlying complementary health approaches
- Studies intended to identify and validate objective endpoints or biomarkers, assess and measure adherence or treatment fidelity, and otherwise strengthen the design of subsequent clinical trials of complementary health approaches
- Studies of the contribution to improved health and wellness made by complementary health interventions. These would include, but not be limited to, investigations of the impact of complementary health modalities including diet and exercise, nutritional supplements, acupuncture, mind-body and interventions in alleviating chronic disease, chronic pain syndromes, inflammatory processes, metabolic disorders, sleep, and improving health and wellness.
The Susan Samueli Integrative Health Institute (SSIHI) at the Susan and Henry Samueli College of Health Sciences is an academic institute focused on scientific research and education in integrative health. The Institute focuses on improving medical care by supporting multidisciplinary research, education, clinical service and community programs, and is involved in undergraduate and post-graduate medical education. The SSIHI has pioneered an integrative health track in the School of Medicine and will be accepting the first cohort of medical students in this program this summer (2019).
Applicants should be qualified for appointment as associate professor level. This position will be 50% in the tenure Professorial Series and 50% in the Professor-In-Residence Series. Endowed Chairs will be held for review after 5 years, and will have Endowed Chair funds.
In addition to the position of Endowed Chair as described above, as Director of Research the successful applicant will oversee the following for the Susan Samueli Integrative Health Institute (SSIHI).
- SSIHI Internal Research Capacity Building, including the development of a research administrative infrastructure; the development of activities to engage and conduct productive, creative scholarly activity in the area of integrative health; the facilitation of links with College of Health Sciences Schools and Departments, Campus Schools and Departments, as well as the community to support the SSIHI’s research endeavors; and the participation in the ongoing evaluation of SSIHI’s research activities while making recommended changes to the Executive Director.
- SSIHI Faculty Research Support, including the provision of director support to faculty members whose focus is in integrative health research; by assisting with research design, measurement, statistical analysis, project development and scientific writing.
Applicants must have an MD, PhD or MD/PhD degree or equivalent. Application materials should include a curriculum vitae, a one-page letter of interest, a statement of research, and a separate statement that addresses past and potential contributions to diversity, equity and inclusion. Applicants may complete an online application profile and upload their CV and application materials electronically.
To apply please visit:
Susan and Henry Samueli Endowed Chair in Integrative Health & Director of Research, Susan Samueli Integrative Health Institute, Associate Professor Series
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Letter of Interest
Statement of Research
Statement of Teaching - See our guidance for writing a reflective teaching statement.
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to diversity will advance UCI's Commitment to Inclusive Excellence.
- 3 required (contact information only)