UCI Division of Continuing Education’s English Language Programs seeks teachers for part-time ESL teaching positions in the following programs offered throughout the calendar year to international students: 10-Week intensive, 2- and 4–Week Conversation & Culture and Business English, test-prep, and custom programs. Classes include grammar, writing, reading, speaking & listening, and a range of elective topics. All classes are on-ground ESL classes. Teaching assignments are made a few days before classes start based on student enrollments. Curricular overviews are provided and teachers collaborate on lessons. Classes meet Monday–Friday and are scheduled variously between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Hourly teaching rate begins at $40. Average weekly teaching load: 7-10 hours. A schedule of upcoming programs can be found on our website under “English Language Programs”: https://ip.ce.uci.edu/program-dates/2019-program-dates/
Part-time, temporary assignments are on an as-needed basis. This is an ONGOING recruitment. We accept part-time instructor applications throughout the year. When the division has a need to fill, we refer to the pool of applications on file.
• Master’s degree in TESOL or Applied Linguistics, or in a closely-related field with a TESL certificate
• Minimum three years of successful ESL teaching experience including intensive English or similar with international students
• Proficiency in English suitable to the position
• Ability to work in the United States
• Proficiency in a second language
• Experience living abroad
• Current active involvement in the field (TESOL, CATESOL).
• Experience teaching with a Learning Management System
Specific Instructor Duties
• Design and offer interactive, motivational classroom activities with a communicative aim to fully engage participants and reinforce student learning
• Communicate teaching objectives and specific learning outcomes to students, and clearly outline the grading policies for the course
• Evaluate student achievement of specific learning outcomes, and assign grades according to program policies
• Participate in required orientations, pre-program class-planning meeting, and awards/graduation ceremony
• Complete mandatory training programs by UC Irvine-established deadlines
To apply for this position, please follow this link:
Individuals hired to teach these courses must understand that all such agreements with the University are made on a course-by-course basis and that the Instructor will be made no guarantee of continual involvement with the University in any capacity.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- 3 required (contact information only)