Open July 1st, 2019 through Tuesday, Jun 30, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Wilderness Medicine Fellowship
Department of Emergency Medicine
UC Irvine School of Medicine
The UCI Department of Emergency Medicine is seeking applicants for the Wilderness Medicine Fellowship program for the start date of July 1, 2020. Clinical fellows will hold a Health Sciences Clinical Instructor title. The goal of the fellowship program is to train physicians to prepare for medical emergencies in austere environments, manage the potential medical needs of a population entering into an austere environment, and both respond and manage a broad array of emergencies that may occur in that environment.
Our department includes clinical practice at a tertiary care center and a critical access island hospital. The Pacific Ocean, several mountain peaks up to 11,000 feet, and the high desert are all accessible from our campus. One or two year positions are available. The two-year fellowship track is available for those applicants in pursuit of an advanced degree.
• Annual wilderness medicine field training exercise
• Annual wilderness medicine workshop
• Island medicine while staffing the Catalina Island Medical Center
• 12 Module didactic curriculum, covering core areas of wilderness medicine
• Opportunities to teach emergency medicine residents and medical student wilderness medicine
Additional Opportunities Include:
• Rotation with Diver’s Alert Network (DAN)
• Marine envenomation rotation in Hawaii
• Mountain Medicine training course
• Training with local EMS, search and rescue agencies
Isabel Algaze, MD
Robert Katzer, MD, MBA
For additional fellowship information, please visit:
Requirements to Apply:
• M.D. or D.O. degree
• Completion of an ACGME accredited Emergency Medicine Residency training program
• Eligible to obtain a California Medical License
Salary commensurate with level of clinical work.
TO APPLY: Please log onto UC Irvine’s RECRUIT located at https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply/JPF05399
Applicants should complete an online application profile and upload the following application materials electronically to be considered for the position:
1) Curriculum Vitae
2) Statement of Interest
3) Teaching Statement
4) Statement of Contributions to Diversity
5) Three Letters of Recommendation
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Interest
Statement of Teaching - See our guidance for writing a reflective teaching statement.
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to diversity will advance UCI's Commitment to Inclusive Excellence.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3-5 letters of reference required