Open date: June 20th, 2019
Last review date: Thursday, Jul 4, 2019 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Friday, Jun 19, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Online teaching positions are now available in Emergency Management and Hazard Mitigation. We are seeking qualified applicants possessing current knowledge and/or teaching experience in Response & Recovery Management, Hazard Mitigation, Crisis Management and Communication, Homeland Security, and Health Care Delivery (HICS).
We are currently looking for someone to build and teach the below course for FALL 2019:
Disaster Mitigation (5 week course)
Learn and apply the major principles involved in preparing for and mitigating the impact hazards as result of a man-made, natural, or cyber-crime related disasters. Understand the differences between hazards and disasters and the required steps in the risk assessment process. Analyze each phase of the local hazard mitigation planning processes and how these processes integrate with governmental resources and plans. Identify measures and resources that are required to minimize the effects of a wide range of potential hazards. Be able to prepare a Hazard Vulnerability Analysis (HVA) to recognize risks then prioritize planning, mitigation, response and recovery activities.
Classes are offered online in an instructor led format asynchronous for 5-10 weeks.
Specific Instructor Duties
• Develop and/or update course syllabus in consultation with the UCI Division of Continuing Education (DCE), Engineering, Sciences, and IT Programs Director as assigned using approved syllabus template
• Prepare and deliver course materials and learning assessments in assigned format (online)
• Utilize the Canvas Learning Management System as the course support platform
• Communicate teaching objectives and specific learning outcomes to students, and clearly outline the grading policies for the course
• Evaluate student achievement of Specific Learning Outcomes and assign grades
• Post final student grades to the transcript system within their instructor accounts in a timely manner no later than 2 weeks after the last date of course meeting
• Respond to student questions and learning needs in a timely manner
• Handle student inquiries about final grades and consult with Director as needed
• Communicate with Program Director, Program Representatives and Online Course Managers in a timely manner
• Stay current regarding the professional body of knowledge in project management
• Participate in required orientations and complete mandatory training programs by deadlines established by UC Irvine
• Complete required administrative tasks in a timely manner including: Initial training of Canvas learning system; providing bio for website; completing all hiring paperwork; submitting updated quarterly syllabus; and signing quarterly contract.
• Develop and maintain curriculum, syllabus, modules, learning practice questions, exams and grading.
• Employ culturally competent teaching methodologies in the online classroom inclusive of both domestic and international student populations
• Allow students to review their final exams/papers for up to 13 months following the last class session
• Use subject-matter expertise and leverage additional resources appropriately to enhance the curriculum (i.e.: make arrangements for guest speakers, etc.)
• Design interactive and motivational online classroom activities to fully engage participants and to reinforce student learning (i.e.: design boards for labs, etc.)
• Update materials periodically, and regularly monitor course evaluations in order to make adjustments and improvements to the curriculum
Our curriculum is constantly updated and tailored to bring students the background, expertise, and business practices to remain competitive and advance their careers. Taught by qualified practitioners, our courses feature practical applications, underlying rationale, and current issues, all of which can be immediately utilized in and applied to our students’ work environments.
Part-time, temporary assignments are on an as-needed basis. This is an ONGOING recruitment. We accept part-time instructor applications all year long; when the division has a need to fill, they refer to the “pool” of applications on file.
To apply for this position, please click this link: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/JPF05511
Individuals hired to teach these courses must understand that all such agreements with the University are made on a course-by-course basis and that the Instructor will be made no guarantee of continual involvement with the University in any capacity.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
• Advanced degree from an accredited institution
• Current knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency in subject area
• Must be committed to the highest level of academic standards and integrity
• Highly effective oral and written communication skills, including the ability to convey conceptual and complex ideas and information
• Highly effective interpersonal skills
• Proficiency in (or willingness to learn) the use of instructional technology and online teaching tools
• Current participation in professional associations
• Comfort in dealing with international professionals and students
• Experience designing/revising curriculum and measuring student performance
• College-level teaching experience (or the corporate equivalent)
• Prior online teaching
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter (Optional)
- 3 required (contact information only)