Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Assistant Professor of Teaching in Developmental and Cell Biology
Applications are invited for an Assistant Professor of Teaching, a University of California position that emphasizes teaching, but otherwise parallels the tenure-track faculty series, including membership in the Academic Senate. Advancement in this series requires that, in addition to excellent teaching and service, the candidate make outstanding and recognized contributions to the development of his or her specific discipline and/or pedagogy. The successful candidate will participate in the undergraduate teaching mission of the department, with opportunities to instruct lecture or lab courses such as introductory biology, developmental biology, cell biology, anatomy, and scientific writing. The successful candidate will also play a role in biology education research, working with other faculty to develop, implement and assess innovative pedagogical initiatives. We seek an outstanding applicant with a Ph.D. in a biology discipline, preferably with postdoctoral training in cell biology, developmental biology, or STEM education research. Other preferred qualifications include documented success in some or all of the following areas: teaching large undergraduate classes; use of evidence-based teaching practices; use of modern instructional technology; ability to develop effective teaching strategies for diverse student populations; conducting STEM education research. Salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
The School of Biological Sciences is recognized as a national leader in the development of programs designed to increase the participation of underrepresented minorities in the biomedical sciences (http://port.bio.uci.edu/about/) and is firmly committed to the ideals of equity, diversity, and inclusion. Career partners programs are available to meet the needs of dual-career academic partners, while subsidized faculty and staff housing and a Mortgage Origination Program are offered to facilitate the purchase of a home. UC Irvine is located 10 minutes from the coast, and the city of Irvine is home to excellent parks, schools, and entertainment opportunities.
Information on the department is available at https://devcell.bio.uci.edu/. Review of applications will begin September 15, 2019 and continue until the position is filled (start date is July 2020, or potentially as early as January 2020). Applications completed by October 1, 2019 will be granted full consideration. For application instructions, please go to the Department of Developmental and Cell Biology Assistant Teaching Professor section at https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply/JPF05659. Criteria for the research, teaching, and diversity statements are provided below:
Research Statement (3 pages). This statement should:
- Detail the candidate’s specific area of expertise, with a description of their contributions to the field.
- Provide a detailed plan of their future independent research program, and how this program will impact biology education at UCI.
- Indicate how the candidate’s research program will synergize with the research environment at UCI.
Teaching Statement (3 pages). For guidelines on how to prepare a reflective teaching statement see http://dtei.uci.edu/the-reflective-teaching-statement/. This statement should:
- Indicate the candidate’s teaching experiences to date, including experience with teaching undergraduates/graduate students, or other populations, as well as their areas of interest. This should also include mentorship that they have given to others in the line of research or outreach activities.
- Detail the candidate’s teaching approaches and philosophies, as to how they will engage in effective teaching strategies.
- Provide evidence (if any) of effectiveness of previous teaching.
Diversity Statement (1 page). The UC Statement on Diversity is available at: http://regents.universityofcalifornia.edu/governance/policies/4400.html. Applicants will be evaluated on their required statements of their contribution to diversity. This statement will be discussed during the interview process and should:
- Indicate how the candidate has demonstrated awareness of the issues faced by historically underrepresented or economically disadvantaged groups and the benefits of a diverse and inclusive faculty.
- Provide evidence (if any) of the candidate’s track record and success in activities aimed at reducing barriers in education or research for underrepresented or disadvantaged groups.
- Detail specific plans (if any) to contribute through campus programs, new activities, or through national or off-campus organizations.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy. As a recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity, UCI is responsive to the needs of dual-career couples, supports work-life balance through an array of family-friendly policies, and is dedicated to broadening participation in higher education.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research - Three Pages: 1. Detail specific area of expertise, with description of contributions to the field. 2.Detailed plan of future education research program; 3.how program will synergize w/ UCI's resch. envir. See full criteria in ad
Statement of Teaching - See our guidance for writing a reflective teaching statement. Three pages: 1. Teaching exper. to date, exper. w/ teaching/lecturing to undergrads/grad students/other; 2.Teaching approaches & philosophies; 3. Evidence of teaching effectiveness
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to diversity will advance UCI's Commitment to Inclusive Excellence & demonstrates awareness of issues faced by underrepresented & economically disadvantaged.
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3-5 letters of reference required