The Benavente Lab in the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences at the University of California, Irvine, is seeking a highly motivated postdoctoral scholar interested in studying cancer. Applications are being sought from independent postdoctoral candidates interested in a multi-disciplinary approach to address important questions around childhood solid tumors and targeted therapeutics. The Benavente Lab focuses on understanding the chromatin remodeling processes that establish the normal epigenetic landscape in developing tissue, how it can be perturbed to promote carcinogenesis, and provide insight for the development of new therapeutics. The lab uses genetic knockout and human xenograft mouse models as well as human cultured cells as model systems for the development of new cancer therapies.
The ideal candidate is expected to have extensive experience in molecular biology and cell biology. Experience with epigenetics and rodent models preferred. The candidate should be self-motivated, with a proven track record of productivity. Applications from underrepresented minority applicants are highly encouraged.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
• A Ph.D. degree in life or biomedical sciences, or a related discipline is required;
• Strong interest in cancer biology;
• Extensive experience with basic molecular and cell biology skills;
• Experience with tissue collection, histology and immunohistochemistry;
• Experience with cell culture, and immunofluorescence;
• Strong work ethic;
• Good problem-solving skills and passion to follow relevant literature;
• Ability to conduct independent research;
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills; evidence of productivity reflected in first author publications in peer-reviewed journals.
Preferred education experience and skills:
• PhD in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, or Cancer Biology;
• Experience in handling animal models;
• Experience with epigenetic techniques;
• Experience with flow cytometry and cell sorting.
The Benavente Lab is part of the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Department of Developmental and Cell Biology, and the Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center at UC Irvine. We are located in Southern California, between Los Angeles and San Diego.
Additional information regarding the position can be obtained by contacting: Professor Claudia Benavente: BenaventeLab@gmail.com
Interested candidates should apply through UC Irvine's RECRUIT system: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/JPF05677
Each Application Must Contain The Following Items:
• Brief statement of research interests and future goals
• CV detailing research experience, publications, any fellowships obtained during the training period, and other relevant information
• List of any manuscripts in preparation or currently under review
• Names of 3 references that are familiar with the research experience of the candidate and who can provide letters of recommendation upon request
• A statement that addresses past and/or potential contributions to diversity, equality and inclusion.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy. A recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity, UCI is responsive to the needs of dual career couples, supports work-life balance through an array of family-friendly policies, and is dedicated to broadening participation in higher education.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter (Optional)
Statement of Research
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to diversity will advance UCI's Commitment to Inclusive Excellence.
Misc / Additional - List of any manuscripts in preparation or currently under review
- 3 required (contact information only)