Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Division of Continuing Education (DCE) is a self-supporting unit within the University of California. Funding is generated through fees collected from a diverse, complex, and ever-changing student population. Part-time instructor positions are on a course by course contracted basis. This is NOT a faculty position.
Online teaching positions are now available in Software Development Certificate Programs. The University of California Irvine’s Department of Continuing Education is looking for a multi-talented Software Development instructor who has expertise in a variety of programming languages.
Our curriculum is constantly updated and tailored to bring students the background, expertise, and business practices to remain competitive and advance their careers. Taught by qualified practitioners, our courses feature practical applications, underlying rationale, and current issues, all of which can be immediately utilized in and applied to industry.
Specific Instructor Duties
• Develop and/or update course syllabi in consultation with the UCI DCE Technology Programs Director and Program Manager as assigned and using approved syllabus template
• Prepare and deliver online course materials and learning assessments in the assigned format
• Utilize the Canvas Learning Management System as the course support platform
• Communicate teaching objectives and specific learning outcomes to students, and clearly outline the grading policies for the course
• Evaluate student achievement of specific learning outcomes, and assign grades
• Post final student grades to the transcript system by set deadlines
• Respond to student questions and learning needs in a timely manner
• Handle student inquiries about final grades and consult with Director and Program Manager as needed
• Stay current regarding the professional body of knowledge in the field of practice
• Participate in required orientations and complete mandatory training programs by deadlines established by UC Irvine
• Complete required administrative tasks in a timely manner including: completing all hiring paperwork; submitting updated quarterly syllabi; posting bio and photo on the UCI DCE website; signing quarterly contract; ordering required texts; communicating AV and classroom needs
• Employ culturally competent teaching methodologies in the classroom inclusive of both domestic and international student populations
• Allow students to review their final exams/papers for up to 13 months following the last class session
• Use subject-matter expertise and leverage additional resources appropriately to enhance the curriculum (i.e.: make arrangements for guest speakers, etc.)
• Design interactive and motivational classroom activities to fully engage participants and to reinforce student learning
• Update materials periodically, and regularly monitor course evaluations in order to make adjustments and improvements to the curriculum
Part-time, temporary assignments are on an as-needed basis. This is an ONGOING recruitment. We accept part-time instructor applications all year long; when the division has a need to fill, we refer to the “pool” of applications on file. We are looking specifically for instructors who are qualified to teach the following course(s) as early as Winter 2020 quarter (beginning January 2020).
Course Descriptions can be found on our website:
The Technology Programs unit offers more than 200 professional courses in eighteen (18) certificate programs to over 3,550 students each year. Our students are largely newly graduated professionals and adult professionals working in full time positions who are seeking additional education that will enable them to update their skills, change careers, or prepare for industry certifications or exams. Our programs are designed to meet the needs of these business professionals at all levels of their careers, providing them with flexible enrollment options to initiate their professional development at any time throughout the year, without an application. As a result of our commitment to academic excellence, professionals can acquire the skills and knowledge they need to face a world of continual change. We are seeking world-class instructors who are experts in their fields, with extensive hands-on experience as business professionals and community leaders. Applications to teach are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the year to both fill immediate program needs, and to increase the depth of the instructor pool for future needs.
To apply for this position, please click this link: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/JPF05747
Individuals hired to teach these courses must understand that all such agreements with the University are made on a per-course basis and that the Instructor will be made no guarantee of continual involvement with the University in any capacity.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
• Advanced degree from an accredited institution (or equivalent work experience)
• Extensive knowledge of current industry tools
• 5+ years professional software development experience
• Extensive experience in one or more of the following development languages: C++, C, Java, C#, Python, and Ruby
• Knowledge of Agile development methodologies and a test-driven development process
• Familiarity and experience with DevOps concepts
• Excellent problem-solving, design, development, and debugging skills
• Current knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency in subject area
• Experience with Application Scripting Languages
• Strong desire to learn and master new technologies
• Ability to document and demonstrate solutions with diagrams, charts, and clean code
• Must be committed to the highest level of academic standards and integrity
• Highly effective oral and written communication skills, including the ability to convey conceptual and complex ideas and information
• Highly effective interpersonal skills
• Proficiency in (or willingness to learn) the use of instructional technology and online teaching tools
• Current participation in professional associations
• Comfort in dealing with international professionals and students
• Experience designing/revising curriculum and measuring student performance
• College-level teaching experience (or the corporate equivalent)
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter (Optional)
- 3 required (contact information only)