Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry (MB&B) at the University of California, Irvine, invites applications for a position at the level of tenure-track Assistant Professor or tenured Associate Professor. MB&B is highly interdisciplinary, with particular strength in structural biology, cancer biology, immunology and microbiology. Faculty of MB&B benefit from participation in the UCI Cancer Research Institute (CRI), and the NCI-Designated Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center (CFCCC). We seek outstanding candidates whose research will address the structural biology, functional and/or biochemical basis for nutrient sensing and/or metabolism, broadly defined, with a clear focus on cancer. Applicants should hold a Ph.D., M.D., or equivalent degree, seek to establish a vigorous and highly competitive research program, and to contribute to teaching at both the graduate and undergraduate levels. Please submit your curriculum vitae, a description of research and teaching interests, and the names and addresses of three potential referees. A separate statement that addresses past and/or potential contributions to diversity, equity and inclusion is also required. Criteria for the research, teaching, and diversity statements are provided below. Application review will begin after November 24, 2019, and will continue until the position is filled.
Research Statement (3 pages). This statement should:
- Detail the candidate’s specific area of expertise, with a description of their contributions to the field.
- Provide a detailed plan of their future independent research program, and how this program will be leveraged to obtain extramural funding.
- Indicate how the candidate’s research program will synergize with the research environment at UCI, including the resources provided by the CRI (http://cri.bio.uci.edu) and CFCCC (http://www.cancer.uci.edu).
Teaching Statement (1 page). This statement should:
- Indicate the candidate’s teaching experiences to date, including experience with teaching/lecturing to undergraduates/graduate students, or other populations, as well as their areas of interest. This should also include mentorship that they have given to others in the line of research or outreach activities.
- Detail the candidate’s teaching approaches and philosophies, as to how they will engage in effective teaching strategies.
- Provide evidence (if any) of effectiveness of previous teaching.
Diversity Statement (1 page). The UC Statement on Diversity is available at: http://regents.universityofcalifornia.edu/governance/policies/4400.html. Applicants will be evaluated on their required statements of their contribution to diversity. This statement should:
- Indicate how the candidate has demonstrated awareness of the issues faced by historically underrepresented or economically disadvantaged groups and the benefits of a diverse and inclusive faculty.
- Provide evidence (if any) of the candidate’s track record and success in activities aimed at reducing barriers in education or research for underrepresented or disadvantaged groups.
- Detail specific plans (if any) to contribute through campus programs, new activities, or through national or off-campus organizations.
To apply, visit the following on-line recruitment URL:
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy. As an inaugural recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity, UCI is responsive to the needs of dual-career couples, supports work-life integration through an array of family-friendly policies, and is dedicated to broadening participation in higher education.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research
Statement of Teaching - See our guidance for writing a reflective teaching statement.
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to diversity will advance UCI's Commitment to Inclusive Excellence. See our guidance for writing a diversity statement.
References Requirement - Please include the contact information for current research mentor.
- 3-5 required (contact information only)