Open October 18th, 2019 through Tuesday, Jun 30, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Bioinformatics Research Specialist for the UCI Genomics High throughput Facility
The Genomics High Throughput Facility (https://ghtf.biochem.uci.edu/) at the University of California, Irvine, is seeking a bioinformatics associate to work with scientists in the development and application of data-analysis pipelines for genomic data analysis. Final candidate will be hired into the Specialist series. Salaries are competitive and commensurate with experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Work in close collaboration with GHTF personnel to build, test, adapt, support and update bioinformatics pipelines.
• Consult with UCI faculty, researchers and students to design experiments and process their data.
• Routinely run pipelines to process genomic data such as RNA-seq, ChIP-seq.
• Maintain technical materials, protocols, and application notes on data analysis.
Education and Experience
• Holds a B.S. degree with experience or a M.S.(or equivalent) in Biological Sciences, Bioinformatics, Genomics, Genetics, Computer Science, Statistics, or related discipline. Applicants with a strong biological background, with emphasis on analysis of large biological datasets are strongly encouraged.
• Proficiency in statistical and data science programming (R and/or Python preferred).
• Familiar with Linux/Unix operating systems and running/scripting applications from the command line.
• Ability to simultaneously manage and execute multiple projects.
• Willingness to follow best-practices for code documentation and revision control.
Ability to program competently in Python or R including plotting, regressions, and hypothesis testing. Ability to script the execution of applications in a Linux command-line environment. Must be highly organized, attentive to details, possess excellent communication skills.
Research experience with genomic data analysis such as whole exome sequencing, RNA-seq, ChIP-seq and single cell multi omics.
• Scientific knowledge
• Interpersonal skills
• Team player
• Communication skills - verbal and written
• Listening skills
• Problem analysis and problem-solving
• Attention to detail and accuracy
• Data collection
• Customer service orientation
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
• Ongoing scientific reading habits
To Apply: Interested candidates should apply through UC Irvine's RECRUIT system located at: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply/JPF05801
Each application must contain the following items:
• CV detailing research experience, publications, any fellowships obtained during the training period, and other relevant information
• Cover Letter
• Brief statement of research interests and future goals
• Statement of Contributions to Diversity
• Names of 3 references that are familiar with the research experience of the candidate and can provide letters of recommendation upon request
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to diversity will advance UCI's Commitment to Inclusive Excellence.
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3-5 required (contact information only)