Open date: April 3rd, 2020
Last review date: Friday, May 15, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Friday, Jan 1, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Pending funding, the Program in Academic English at the University of California, Irvine anticipates hiring several teacher-scholars at the rank of Lecturer to teach courses and to participate in other departmental activities for the 2020-21 academic year. Appointments will range from 50% time (4 classes; e.g., 3 in fall quarter, 1 in winter quarter) to 100% time (8 classes; e.g., 3 in fall quarter, 3 in winter quarter, 2 in spring quarter). The position comes with the possibility of reappointment, contingent on Program need, budget, and the instructor’s performance. Performance will be evaluated on the basis of demonstrated competence in the field, ability in teaching, academic responsibility, and other assigned duties that may include University co-curricular and community service.
Fall quarter service period: 9/28/2020-12/18/2020
Winter quarter service period: 1/4/2021-3/19/2021
Spring quarter service period: 3/24/2021-6/11/2021
• Doctoral degree in Applied Linguistics or a related field. Candidates whose highest degree is a Master’s degree and have maintained a strong record of demonstrated competence in the field (such as through ongoing scholarly activity or another means), ability in teaching, and academic responsibility will also be considered.
• Ability to teach academic writing, reading, and/or oral communication courses that align with the Program's goals of serving the diverse literacy needs of multilingual students at a research university.
• Cross-cultural teaching experience that includes, is equivalent to, or is translatable to the teaching of international multilingual students and domestic language minoritized students at the college/university level at a research university.
• Ability to contribute to curriculum and course materials development drawing on recent and relevant research in applied linguistics and related fields
• Record of ongoing scholarly activity including, but not limited to, publications in respected peer-reviewed venues
• Record of ongoing professional development and achievement
• Ability to teach graduate-level courses including Dissertation Writing and Writing for Scholarly Publication courses
The non-negotiable starting salary, per the 2019-20 Lecturer salary scale, is $7,047.63 per course or $56,381/year for a 100% appointment.
APPLICATIONS should be submitted electronically at: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/JPF05891.
1-3 Letters of Recommendation are required for applicants who have not previously taught in the Program. Letters of Recommendation are optional for those who have taught or are currently teaching in the Program. For more information, please contact: Stephanie Wijetilleke, firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will be completed by the Program in Academic English Hiring Committee and will continue until the position(s) are filled.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Teaching Statement - See our guidance for writing a reflective teaching statement.
Inclusive Excellence Activities Statement - Statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to inclusive excellence will advance UCI's Commitment to Inclusive Excellence. See our guidance for writing an inclusive excellence activities statement.
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 0-3 letters of reference required