Open date: December 23rd, 2019
Last review date: Monday, Jan 6, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Tuesday, Dec 22, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Division of Continuing Education (DCE) is a self-supporting unit within the University of California. Funding is generated through fees collected from a diverse, complex, and ever-changing student population. Part-time instructor positions are on a course by course contracted basis. This is NOT a faculty position.
This is pool recruitment for online teaching positions that may become available in the GATE program. We are seeking qualified instructors with current knowledge and work experience in this industry who can create an interactive and engaging learning environment for students.
For more detailed information about this program, please visit https://ce.uci.edu/areas/education/gate/.
Course topics include:
• GATE: Identification and Programming
• GATE: Meeting Social and Emotional Needs
• GATE: Differentiated Instruction
• GATE: Engaging Students Through Technology
• GATE: Teaching the Arts
• GATE: Creative and Productive Thinking
Classes are taught in an online and on-site instructor-led format.
Specific Instructor Duties
• Develop and/or update course syllabi in consultation with the UCI Division of Continuing Education Program Representative as assigned and using approved syllabus template
• Prepare and deliver course materials and learning assessments in the online or on-site format
• Communicate teaching objectives and specific learning outcomes to students, and clearly outline the grading policies for the course
• Utilize the Canvas Learning Management System as the course support platform
• Evaluate student achievement of specific learning outcomes, and assign grades
• Post final student grades by set deadlines
• Handle student inquiries about final grades and consult with Director as needed
• Respond to student questions and learning needs in a timely manner
• Stay current regarding the professional body of knowledge in the field of practice
• Participate in required orientations and complete mandatory training programs by deadlines established by UC Irvine
• Complete required administrative tasks in a timely manner including: completing all hiring paperwork; submitting updated syllabus; submitting course handouts; signing instructor contract; submitting required textbook orders; communicating AV and classroom needs
• Employ culturally competent teaching methodologies in the classroom inclusive of international student populations
• Use subject-matter expertise and leverage additional resources appropriately to enhance the curriculum (i.e.: make arrangements for guest speakers, use synchronous/live sessions for office hours, etc.)
• Design interactive and motivational classroom activities to fully engage participants and to reinforce student learning
• Update materials periodically, and regularly monitor course evaluations in order to make adjustments and improvements to the curriculum
To apply for this position, please click this link:
Individuals hired to teach these courses must understand that all such agreements with the University are made on a course-by-course basis and that the Instructor will be made no guarantee of continual involvement with the University in any capacity.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
• Master’s degree or higher from an accredited institution
• Extensive background and current work experience in the subject area (at least 5 years)
• Proficiency in (or willingness to learn) the use of instructional technology and online teaching tools
• Must be committed to the highest level of academic standards and integrity
• Highly effective oral and written communication skills, including the ability to convey conceptual and complex ideas and information
• Highly effective interpersonal skills
• Comfort in dealing with working professionals
• Experience designing/revising curriculum and measuring student performance
• College-level teaching experience (or the corporate equivalent)
• Experience teaching online
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter (Optional)
- 4 required (contact information only)