Open date: January 24th, 2020
Last review date: Monday, Feb 24, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Tuesday, Jun 30, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Messaoudi lab at UCI is looking to fill 2 postdoctoral scholar positions. We are looking for a highly motivated and collaborative postdoctoral associates interested in:
1) investigating the molecular mechanisms of varicella zoster virus pathogenesis or 2) role of age-related changes in the lung microbiome/immunological landscape in increased incidence of non-tuberculous mycobacterium pulmonary disease. Both projects are NIH funded.
The Messaoudi lab focuses on studying mechanisms governing host-pathogen interactions as well as the impact of nutrition and age on host immunity using nonhuman primate models and clinical samples. More information about the lab can be found here https://faculty.sites.uci.edu/messaoudilab/.
• PhD in biological sciences and at least two publications in a pubmed indexed Journal
• Research experience in virology (preferably herpesvirology) or bacteriology
• Strong bench skills in: microbiological techniques (viral mutagenesis, microbiome analyses, bacterial isolation and culture), tissue culture, and molecular biology
• Training in next generation sequencing and bioinformatics
• Proven track record of troubleshooting and problem solving.
• Strong organizational skills with the ability to balance multiple projects in a fast-paced environment and bring projects to completion.
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Willingness to learn new approaches
• Collaborative approach to science
Qualified candidates should submit their curriculum vitae, cover letter (a brief statement of research accomplishments and interests) and the names and contact information of three references to the following on-line recruitment URL:
Applications will be considered until positions are filled.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter - A brief statement of research accomplishments and interests.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Inclusive Excellence Activities Statement - Statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to inclusive excellence will advance UCI's Commitment to Inclusive Excellence. See our guidance for writing an inclusive excellence activities statement.
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3-5 required (contact information only)