Open date: January 27th, 2020
Last review date: Thursday, Feb 13, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Wednesday, Sep 30, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Division of Continuing Education (DCE) is a self-supporting unit within the University of California. Funding is generated through fees collected from a diverse, complex, and ever-changing student population. Part-time instructor positions are on a course by course contracted basis. This is NOT a faculty position.
Local Teaching positions are now available for courses in Industrial Design/Product Design. We are seeking qualified local applicants possessing current knowledge and/or teaching experience in the following areas:
• 3D Modeling and Sculpting (using programs such as Solidworks, Autodesk Fusion 360)
• Sketching, Drawing, Perspective and Rendering for Design (using programs such as Rhino, KeyShot, SketchUp)
• 3D printing and other manufacturing process
• Design/Creative Thinking and the Design Process via Case Studies - Concept, Prototypes, Design Iterations, Validation, Manufacturing, Marketing and Product Support.
• Using art, business and engineering to create new and improve existing products
• Digital Painting, Drawing and Image Editing
Specific Instructor Duties
• Develop and/or update course syllabi in consultation with the UCI Division of Continuing Education, Engineering and Sciences, Director of as assigned and using approved syllabus template
• Prepare and deliver online course materials and learning assessments in the assigned format
• Utilize the Canvas Learning Management System as the course support platform
• Communicate teaching objectives and specific learning outcomes to students, and clearly outline the grading policies for the course
• Evaluate student achievement of specific learning outcomes, and assign grades
• Post final student grades to the transcript system by set deadlines
• Respond to student questions and learning needs in a timely manner
• Handle student inquiries about final grades and consult with Director as needed
• Stay current regarding the professional body of knowledge in the field of practice
• Participate in required orientations and complete mandatory training programs by deadlines established by UC Irvine
• Complete required administrative tasks in a timely manner including: completing all hiring paperwork; submitting updated quarterly syllabi; posting bio and photo on the UCI Division of Continuing Education website; signing quarterly contract; ordering required texts; communicating AV and classroom needs
• Employ culturally competent teaching methodologies in the classroom inclusive of both domestic and international student populations
• Allow students to review their final exams/papers for up to 13 months following the last class session
• Use subject-matter expertise and leverage additional resources appropriately to enhance the curriculum (i.e.: make arrangements for guest speakers, etc.)
• Design interactive and motivational classroom activities to fully engage participants and to reinforce student learning
• Update materials periodically, and regularly monitor course evaluations in order to make adjustments and improvements to the curriculum
Our curriculum is constantly updated and tailored to bring students the background, expertise, and business practices to remain competitive and advance their careers. Taught by qualified practitioners, our courses feature practical applications, underlying rationale, and current issues, all of which can be immediately utilized in and applied to our students’ work environments.
Part-time, temporary assignments are on an as-needed basis. This is an ONGOING recruitment. We accept part-time instructor applications all year long; when the division has a need to fill, we refer to the “pool” of applications on file. We are looking specifically for instructors who are qualified to teach locally the following course(s) as early as Summer quarter (beginning June 24, 2020).
Qualified instructors/experts are needed for a new program as described below.
Industrial Design - Learn how to create market-driven, innovative and meaningful designs of handheld products. Using Design Thinking and the Art of Manufacturing let your sense of style, form and function guide you to build new and better sustainable products that meet market needs.
In this program you will develop key industrial design skills in sketching and drawing, 3D modeling with CAD, digital painting, image editing, digital fabrication tools. and 3D printers. You will use industry standard tools and hardware such as Solidworks, Autodesk Fusion 360, 3D printers, Rhino, KeyShot, SketchUp and Cura. You will learn the entire design process, from concept, prototypes, design iterations, validation, manufacturing, marketing and product support. Come learn how to combine art, business and engineering to create new and improve existing products people use every day.
To apply for this position, please click this link:
Individuals hired to teach these courses must understand that all such agreements with the University are made on a course-by-course basis and that the Instructor will be made no guarantee of continual involvement with the University in any capacity.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
• Bachelor degree from an accredited institution equivalent in Product or Industrial Design.
• Current knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency in subject area
• Must be committed to the highest level of academic standards and integrity
• Highly effective oral and written communication skills, including the ability to convey conceptual and complex ideas and information
• Highly effective interpersonal skills
• Proficiency in (or willingness to learn) the use of instructional technology and online teaching tools
• Current participation in professional associations
• Comfort in dealing with international professionals and students
• Experience designing/revising curriculum and measuring student performance
• College-level teaching experience (or the corporate equivalent)
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter (Optional)
- 3 required (contact information only)