Open February 28th, 2020 through Wednesday, Apr 15, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
If you apply to this recruitment by April 15th, 2020, you will have until April 30th, 2020 to complete your application.
Assistant Professor in Quantitative Cell Biology
Applications are invited for a tenure-track faculty position at the level of Assistant Professor in the Department of Developmental and Cell Biology. We seek candidates with an interest in quantitative cell biology, broadly defined. Applicants may pursue research in areas such as (but not limited to) cell signaling and regulation, cell geometry and architecture, systems and/or synthetic cell biology, and the cellular basis of disease. Priority will be given to candidates whose research will benefit from interdisciplinary collaboration, through interactions with members of the department (http://devcell.bio.uci.edu), and through affiliation with other campus centers and institutes relevant to cell biology (https://devcell.bio.uci.edu/research/research-units/).
The successful applicant is expected to conduct a strong research program and to contribute to the teaching mission of the University of California. Please send curriculum vitae, 3-page summary of research accomplishments and goals, a brief statement of teaching and mentoring experience and philosophy, a separate statement that addresses past and/or potential contributions to diversity, equity and inclusion, and at least three letters of reference via the online recruitment URL: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply/JPF05994 . Criteria for the research, teaching, and diversity statements are provided at the online recruitment URL. Applications completed by April 15, 2020 will be granted full consideration. Any questions about the suitability of an applicant for this opportunity can be directed to the search chair, Steven Gross firstname.lastname@example.org.
The School of Biological Sciences is recognized as a national leader in the development of programs designed to increase the participation of underrepresented groups in the biomedical sciences (http://port.bio.uci.edu/about/) and is firmly committed to the ideals of equity, diversity, and inclusion. Career partners programs are available to meet the needs of dual-career academic partners. Faculty are eligible for subsidized housing and a Mortgage Origination Program. UC Irvine (https://uci.edu/) is located 10 minutes from the coast and is the youngest member of the prestigious Association of American Universities. The city of Irvine is home to excellent parks, schools, entertainment opportunities, and a diverse citizenry.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy. A recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity, UCI is responsive to the needs of dual career couples, supports work-life balance through an array of family-friendly policies, and is dedicated to broadening participation in higher education.
Statement of Research – Three Pages.
- Detail the candidate’s previous research experience, with a description of the significance and impact of the work.
- Provide a plan of their future independent research program.
- Indicate how the candidate’s research program will synergize with the research environment at UCI.
Statement of Teaching – One page.
- Indicate the candidate’s teaching experiences to date, including experience with teaching/lecturing to undergraduates/graduate students or other populations. This should include the candidates experience mentoring others in the line of research or outreach activities.
- Detail the candidate’s teaching approaches and philosophies, as to how they will engage in effective teaching strategies.
Statement of Contributions to Diversity – One page.
Applicants will be also evaluated on how they will advance UCI’s Commitment to Inclusive Excellence (http://www.uci.edu/diversity/). This statement should:
- Indicate how the candidate has demonstrated awareness of the issues faced by historically underrepresented or economically disadvantaged groups and the benefits of a diverse and inclusive faculty.
- Provide evidence (if any) of the candidate’s track record and success in activities aimed at reducing barriers in education or research for underrepresented or disadvantaged groups.
- Detail specific plans (if any) to contribute through campus programs, new activities, or through national or off-campus organizations.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research
Teaching Statement - See our guidance for writing a reflective teaching statement.
Inclusive Excellence Activities Statement - Statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to inclusive excellence will advance UCI's Commitment to Inclusive Excellence. See our guidance for writing an inclusive excellence activities statement.
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3-5 letters of reference required