Open April 1st, 2020 through Monday, Mar 15, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
If you apply to this recruitment by March 15th, 2021, you will have until March 31st, 2021 to complete your application.
The Microbiome Initiative (microbiome.uci.edu) at the University of California, Irvine, is seeking a bioinformatics associate to collaborate with scientists in the development and application of data-analysis pipelines for microbial community (microbiome) sequence analysis methods. Final candidate will be hired into the Specialist series. Salaries are competitive and commensurate with experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Work closely with Initiative staff to consult with UCI faculty, researchers, and students to design experiments and process their data.
• Process microbiome data and generate reports.
• Maintain notes on data analysis.
Education and Experience
• Holds a Master degree (or equivalent) in Biological Sciences, Microbiology, Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Statistics, or related discipline. Applicants with a strong biological background, with emphasis on analysis of large biological datasets are strongly encouraged.
• Competent or interested in learning statistical and data science programming (ideally using the R language).
• Willingness to follow best-practices for code documentation and revision control.
Interest in learning to program competently in R. Willingness to learn to how to work on a high-performance cluster with the command line. Must be highly organized, attentive to details, possess excellent communication skills and be proficient in Excel and Word.
Research experience with microbiome data.
• Interpersonal skills
• Team player
• Communication skills - verbal and written
• Problem analysis and problem-solving
• Attention to detail and accuracy
• Customer service orientation
To Apply: Interested candidates should apply through UC Irvine's RECRUIT system located at: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply/JPF06010
Each application must contain the following items:
• Cover Letter
• Names of 3 references
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3-5 required (contact information only)