Open date: March 24th, 2020
Next review date: Thursday, Apr 23, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Thursday, Apr 23, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Professor Michael Hyland’s research group at the University of California, Irvine invites applications for a Postdoctoral Scholar in the area of modeling and analysis for the planning, design, management, and control of smart city transportation systems, with a focus on shared-use mobility services and congestion pricing. The successful candidate will have: experience modeling the temporal dynamics of transportation systems; expertise analyzing the impacts of shared-use mobility services (e.g. ridesourcing, ridesharing, bikesharing, scooter-sharing, etc.) on transportation systems; and a PhD in civil engineering or any field related to transportation systems engineering from an accredited university. The position will be located at UC Irvine, working with Dr. Michael Hyland (https://engineering.uci.edu/users/michael-hyland), with opportunities to mentor graduate students and collaborate with transportation researchers throughout the UC system.
Duties and Responsibilities
Alongside Dr. Hyland, the successful candidate will:
• Develop an integrated transport supply and travel demand modeling framework capable of testing various congestion pricing mechanisms and their impacts on transport systems that include shared mobility services
• Draft original research proposals related to smart cities and shared mobility
• Write technical research reports as well as policy briefs for funding agencies
• Publish research in peer-reviewed journals and present results at national and international conferences.
• Manage a research project with 3-4 PhD student research assistants
• Doctoral degree in transportation system engineering or a closely related field from an accredited university
• Experience modeling transportation systems using agent-based simulation
• Ability to collaborate effectively in a team environment
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Peer-reviewed publications related to modeling transportation systems and shared-use mobility services
• Ability to pursue research independently
• Experience with POLARIS Transportation System Simulation Tool
Please note the position will be a "Work from Home" position per Governor Gavin Newsom's Stay at Home Order: https://www.gov.ca.gov/2020/03/19/governor-gavin-newsom-issues-stay-at-home-order/ . Once the order is released the employee will be provided a workspace at UC Irvine.
Initial appointment will be for a 12-month period and will be renewable subject to performance and availability of funding. Salary will commensurate with qualifications and experience. Apply by submitting your application to our online RECRUIT system at: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/JPF06017
Screening of applicants will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Publications - Publications or link to publications. Please include 2 recent publications related to the position.
Cover Letter (Optional)
- 3 required (contact information only)