Open date: July 16th, 2020
Last review date: Friday, Jul 31, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Thursday, Jul 15, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Division of Continuing Education (DCE) is a self-supporting unit within the University of California. Funding is generated through fees collected from a diverse, complex, and ever-changing student population. Part-time instructor positions are on a course by course contracted basis. This is NOT a faculty position.
Remote synchronous online teaching positions are now available for Corporate Education & Global Partnerships’ remote online courses.
The Corporate Course Instructor for Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging will develop and deliver professional development experiences and educational courses and workshops to Corporate Education & Global Partnerships clients. They will design interactive and motivational classroom activities that fully engage students, reinforce student learning and provide opportunity to develop transferrable skills for the workplace. They will work collaboratively with the Program Director on updating and approving syllabi, as well as go through a variety of administrative academic procedures.
We constantly update and tailor our curriculum to bring students the background, expertise, and business practices they need to remain competitive and advance in their careers. Taught by qualified practitioners, our courses feature practical application, underlying rationale, and current issues, all of which our students immediately utilize and apply to their work environments.
We are seeking qualified applicants possessing current knowledge and teaching experience in the following topic areas:
• Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging Initiatives in the Workplace
• Unconscious, Implicit Bias and Micro-Aggressions
• Anti-Black Racism and Social Injustice
• Identity and Socialization
• Dominant and Subordinated Group Power Dynamics
• Organizational Culture Analysis
• Cultural Intelligence Framework and Capabilities
• Global Mindset Framework
Specific Instructor Duties
• Develop and/or update course syllabi in consultation with the UCI Division of Continuing Education (DCE) Program Director as assigned and using approved syllabus template
• Prepare and deliver course materials and learning assessments in the assigned format
• Utilize the Canvas Learning Management System as the course support platform
• Communicate teaching objectives and specific learning outcomes to students, and clearly outline the grading policies for the course
• Evaluate student achievement of specific learning outcomes, and assign grades
• Post final student grades to the transcript system by set deadlines
• Respond to student questions and learning needs in a timely manner
• Handle student inquiries about final grades and consult with Director as needed
• Stay current regarding the professional body of knowledge in the field of practice
• Participate in required orientations and complete mandatory training programs by deadlines established by UC Irvine
• Complete required administrative tasks in a timely manner including: completing all hiring paperwork; submitting updated quarterly syllabi; posting bio and photo on the UCI DCE website; signing quarterly contract; ordering required texts; communicating AV and classroom needs
• Employ culturally competent teaching methodologies in the classroom inclusive of both domestic and international student populations
• Allow students to review their final exams/papers for up to 13 months following the last class session
• Use subject-matter expertise and leverage additional resources appropriately to enhance the curriculum (i.e.: make arrangements for guest speakers, etc.)
• Design interactive and motivational classroom activities to fully engage participants and to reinforce student learning
• Update materials as indicated by administrative staff, and regularly monitor course evaluations in order to make adjustments and improvements to the curriculum
We are looking specifically for potential instructors who are qualified to teach all topic areas as early as summer quarter (beginning August 2020):
Detailed course descriptions are as follows:
Leading Across Cultures MGMT_X404.5
This core course addresses the leadership skills and competencies that are requisite for leading across cultures in a global business environment. Participants will learn from frameworks, principles, and practices regarding how to leverage their cross-cultural business experiences for greater influence and effectiveness across cultural contexts (teams, organizations, regions, countries, etc.). Participants will develop working knowledge of the Cultural Intelligence (CQ) framework, including the four CQ capabilities (CQ Drive, CQ Knowledge, CQ Strategy, & CQ Action) and their practical applications for the workplace and for global leaders. This course is designed to develop participants’ recognition and understanding of the biases and implicit assumptions about other cultures (ethnic, racial, national, gender, generational, functional/professional, etc.) that often erode value for organizations in global business environments and undermine leadership effectiveness in such contexts. Participants will learn how implicit bias plays a key role in organizations and many decision-making process driven by global leaders, and how the development of CQ capabilities is critical for limiting implicit bias and its negative impact across global organizations. This course will also address the strategies, practices, and policies for how employees, leaders, teams, and organizations can minimize the negative outcomes of implicit bias. As part of the course, participants will create an action plan for developing the CQ capabilities that are most critical for their organizations, teams, and personal leadership development goals.
Managing Diversity in the Workplace MGMT_X472.10
Since we spend the most productive hours of the day at work, we need to ensure that we are using the best of ourselves and forging the best relationships in order to accomplish the best work for our business mission. This workshop exposes participants to the personal and organizational implications of increasing workforce diversity. It stresses the benefit and challenges for individuals who work in diverse teams and a diverse workplace. It examines the leadership implications of increasing diversity in organizations. For this purpose, the workshop looks deeper into the nature or character of the organization, how its culture is formed and upon what assumptions it is built. Participants will also be encouraged to examine how they have brought their own difference to work and helped others do the same.
To apply for this position, please click this link: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/JPF06271
Individuals hired to teach these courses must understand that all such agreements with the University are made on a course-by-course basis and that the Instructor will be made no guarantee of continual involvement with the University in any capacity.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
The Corporate Education Department is a leader in employee development and education, locally and across the globe. We deliver educational courses and programs on-site and online to our clients; developed around the unique industry and needs of each organization. Our students work full time, and seek additional education that will enable them to update their skills, support a new company initiative, or prepare for industry certifications or exams. We are seeking world-class instructors who are experts in their fields, with extensive hands-on experience as business professionals and community leaders. Applications to teach are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the year to both fill immediate program needs, and to increase the depth of the instructor pool for future needs.
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution
• Current knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency in subject area
• 8-10 years of professional work experience in subject area
• College-level teaching experience for corporate entity or organizational equivalent
• Previous experience teaching remotely and/or online using synchronous instruction tools and a Learning Management System
• Must be committed to the highest level of academic standards and integrity
• Highly effective oral and written communication skills, including the ability to convey conceptual and complex ideas and information
• Highly effective interpersonal skills
• Proficiency in (or willingness to learn) the use of instructional technology and online teaching tools
• Current participation in professional associations
• Comfort in dealing with working professionals
• Advanced degree from an accredited institution
• Experience designing/revising curriculum and measuring student performance
• Current professional certification
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter (Optional)
- 3 required (contact information only)