Open date: July 24th, 2020
Last review date: Monday, Aug 10, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Friday, Jul 23, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Division of Continuing Education (DCE) is a self-supporting unit within the University of California. Funding is generated through fees collected from a diverse, complex, and ever-changing student population. Part-time instructor positions are on a course by course contracted basis. This is NOT a faculty position.
Online teaching positions are now available in both the Clinical Trials: Medical Device and Drug Development and the Medical Device Development Programs. We are seeking qualified applicants possessing current knowledge and/or teaching experience in the topics areas of:
• Process Validation for Medical Product Development
• Medical Device Design and Evaluation
• Post-Market Regulations for Medical Devices
• Application of Good Clinical Practices
• Good Laboratory Practices
• Good manufacturing practice
Classes are offered online in an instructor led format asynchronous for 10 weeks.
Specific Instructor Duties
• Develop and/or update course syllabi in consultation with the UCI Division of Continuing Education (DCE), Engineering, Sciences, and Life Science Program Director as assigned using approved syllabus template
• Prepare and deliver course materials and learning assessments in the assigned format (online)
• Utilize the Canvas Learning Management System as the course support platform
• Communicate teaching objectives and specific learning outcomes to students, and clearly outline the grading policies for the course
• Evaluate student achievement of specific learning outcomes, and assign grades
• Post final student grades to the transcript system within their instructor accounts in a timely manner no later than 2 weeks after the last date of course meeting
• Respond to student questions and learning needs in a timely manner
• Handle student inquiries about final grades and consult with Director as needed
• Stay current regarding the professional body of knowledge in the field of practice
• Participate in required orientations and complete mandatory training programs by deadlines established by UC Irvine
• Complete required administrative tasks in a timely manner including: Initial training of Canvas learning system; providing bio for website; completing all hiring paperwork; submitting updated quarterly syllabus; and signing quarterly contract.
• Develop and maintain curriculum, syllabus, modules, learning practice questions, exams and grading.
• Employ culturally competent teaching methodologies in the online classroom inclusive of both domestic and international student populations
• Allow students to review their final exams/papers for up to 13 months following the last class session
• Use subject-matter expertise and leverage additional resources appropriately to enhance the curriculum (i.e.: make arrangements for guest speakers, etc.)
• Design interactive and motivational online classroom activities to fully engage participants and to reinforce student learning (i.e.: design boards for labs, etc.)
• Update materials periodically, and regularly monitor course evaluations in order to make adjustments and improvements to the curriculum
Our curriculum is constantly updated and tailored to bring students the background, expertise, and business practices to remain competitive and advance their careers. Taught by qualified practitioners, our courses feature practical applications, underlying rationale, and current issues, all of which can be immediately utilized in and applied to our students’ work environments.
Part-time, temporary assignments are on an as-needed basis. This is an ONGOING recruitment. We accept part-time instructor applications all year long; when the division has a need to fill, they refer to the “pool” of applications on file. We are looking specifically for instructors who are qualified to teach the following course as early as Winter 2021 (beginning January 4th 2021).
Process Validation for Medical Product Development (3 units)
Enhance your understanding of process validation and how it is applied to the development of medical products. Learn how to assess an appropriate level of process scrutiny to provide a high level of confidence for process validation. Increase your knowledge of validation project management; basic approach to process validation; validation criteria for facilities and utilities; sterilization; controls, automated processes, and computer systems. Case studies illustrate how critical processes are validated in the development of cardiovascular, ophthalmic, and intravenous devices.
Human Subjects Safety in Clinical Trials (2.00 units)
The use of human subjects in clinical trials for drug and device development requires sound ethical practices. Explore topics that include FDA regulations and guidance, informed consent process, the make-up and function of Institutional Review Boards (IRB), the IRB review process, and basic biomedical ethics. Course topics are enhanced by case studies, small group discussions, and research document reviews.
To apply for this position, please click this link:
Individuals hired to teach these courses must understand that all such agreements with the University are made on a course-by-course basis and that the Instructor will be made no guarantee of continual involvement with the University in any capacity.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
• Advanced degree from an accredited institution
• Current knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency in subject area
• Must be committed to the highest level of academic standards and integrity
• Highly effective oral and written communication skills, including the ability to convey conceptual and complex ideas and information
• Highly effective interpersonal skills
• Proficiency in (or willingness to learn) the use of instructional technology and online teaching tools
• Current participation in professional associations
• Comfort in dealing with international professionals and students
• Experience designing/revising curriculum and measuring student performance
• College-level teaching experience (or the corporate equivalent)
• Prior online teaching
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter (Optional)
- 3 required (contact information only)