Open August 17th, 2020 through Saturday, Jul 31, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
If you apply to this recruitment by July 31st, 2021, you will have until August 6th, 2021 to complete your application.
Nano-Optics group at University of California, Irvine (UC Irvine) is seeking Postdoctoral Fellows to participate in the projects, broadly in Nano-optics/photonics, Optical Metasurfaces/Zero-index Optical Materials, Nonlinear/Quantum Optics, Nano-structured fiber optics, and Nano/quantum-biophotonics. The successful candidates will join our research program led by Professor Howard Lee in the Department of Physics and Astronomy, Beckman Laser Institute and Medical Clinic, and Convergence Optical Sciences Initiative (COSI).
The projects will focus on some of these studies:
(1) Extreme light-matter interactions in active ultrathin optical metasurfaces and metamaterials
(2) Ultrafast nonlinear, linear, and quantum optics in “zero-refractive index” materials
(3) “Meta”-fiber optics for novel laser, optical imaging/sensing, and tip-enhanced Raman molecular spectroscopy.
(4) Nano/quantum-biophotonics, sensing, and advanced optical spectroscopies
(5) Nano-photonic devices and physics for advanced communication, sensing/display, space, and energy harvesting technologies.
The successful candidate is expected to make high-impact contributions to cutting edge research areas and have the opportunity to collaborate with scientists at Texas A&M, Rice University, California Institute of Technology, Naval Research Laboratory, CNRS (France), and Academia Sinica (Taiwan). Part of the projects are funded by federal agencies such as National Science Foundation, DARPA, and Air Force Office of Scientific Research. The position is available as early as September 2020.
Postdoctoral Fellow Qualifications:
• PhD in Physics, Engineering, Material Sciences, or Bio-photonics
• Research experience in metasurfaces/plasmonics, nonlinear/quantum optics, biophotonics, and/or specialty fiber optics
• Strong experimental skills in optical characterization and nanofabrication, nonlinear optical measurements, and/or synthetic biology/Raman and CARS imaging
• Familiarity with simulation and numerical modeling (Lumerical, COMSOL, CST, etc.)
• Highly motivated for working in an interdisciplinary environment with graduate and undergraduate students, and performing leading-edge research in nano-optics.
• Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
About the Nano-Optics lab:
Prof. Howard Lee is moving his research group to the Department of Physics and Astronomy at UC Irvine in July 2020. Part of our nano-optics lab will be located in the new UCI Beall Applied Innovation Building, as well as in the new 200,000 square feet UCI Interdisciplinary Science and Engineering Building. Our group is affiliated with Department of Physics and Astronomy, Beckman Laser Institute and Medical Clinic, and Convergence Optical Sciences Initiative (COSI).
Our labs at UCI will equip with Ti:Sapphire femtosecond laser system with optical parametric amplifier, supercontinuum laser source, high power picosecond laser, tunable lasers, ellipsometer, optical spectrum analyzer and spectrometers, high speed electronics, ALD/sputtering deposition machines, pressure-assisted high temperature filling system (for hybrid metal/semiconductor filled microstructured fiber), nonlinear and single photon optical characterization facilities, and optical fiber post-processing facilities, etc. Our nanofabrication facilities include state-of-the-art electron beam lithography system, FIB milling system, high resolution SEM/AFM located in the Integrated Nanosystems Research Facility and Irvine Materials Research Institute at UCI. Large area nanofabrication from high quality Ebeam lithography system and high-resolution 3D printer would also be performed in the Kavli Nanoscience Institute (KNI) at Caltech.
Interested candidates should apply online at the UC Irvine’s online application system, RECRUIT, located at https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply/JPF06326.
Applications will be considered until the position is filled.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Teaching Statement - See our guidance for writing a reflective teaching statement.
Inclusive Excellence Activities Statement - Statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to inclusive excellence will advance UCI's Commitment to Inclusive Excellence. See our guidance for writing an inclusive excellence activities statement.
Authorization to Release Information Form - A reference check will be completed only if you are made a tentative offer to a Professor or Professor of Teaching series, at any rank. Download, complete, sign, and upload the form: https://ap.uci.edu/wp-content/uploads/AuthReleaseForm.pdf
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3-5 required (contact information only)