Open date: September 25th, 2020
Last review date: Tuesday, Oct 6, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Saturday, Sep 25, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Division of Continuing Education (DCE) is a self-supporting unit within the University of California. Funding is generated through fees collected from a diverse, complex, and ever-changing student population. Part-time instructor positions are on a course by course contracted basis. This is NOT a faculty position.
This is pool recruitment for online and classroom teaching positions that may become available.
Online teaching positions are now available in the Environmental Management Program. We are seeking qualified applicants possessing current knowledge and/or teaching experience in Principles of Environmental Management, Environmental Management Systems (EMS), Environmental Leadership: Organizational Design and Programs, Climate Protection, and Environmental Sustainability. Classes are offered online in an instructor led format asynchronous for 10 weeks.
Specific Instructor Duties
• Develop and/or update course syllabus in consultation with the UCI Division of Continuing Education (DCE), Engineering, Sciences, and IT Programs Director as assigned using approved syllabus template
• Prepare and deliver course materials and learning assessments in assigned format (online)
• Utilize the Canvas Learning Management System as the course support platform
• Communicate teaching objectives and specific learning outcomes to students, and clearly outline the grading policies for the course
• Evaluate student achievement of Specific Learning Outcomes and assign grades
• Post final student grades to the transcript system within their instructor accounts in a timely manner no later than 2 weeks after the last date of course meeting
• Respond to student questions and learning needs in a timely manner
• Handle student inquiries about final grades and consult with Director as needed
• Communicate with Program Director, Program Representatives and Online Course Managers in a timely manner
• Stay current regarding the professional body of knowledge in project management
• Participate in required orientations and complete mandatory training programs by deadlines established by UC Irvine
• Complete required administrative tasks in a timely manner including: Initial training of Canvas learning system; providing bio for website; completing all hiring paperwork; submitting updated quarterly syllabus; and signing quarterly contract.
• Develop and maintain curriculum, syllabus, modules, learning practice questions, exams and grading.
• Employ culturally competent teaching methodologies in the online classroom inclusive of both domestic and international student populations
• Allow students to review their final exams/papers for up to 13 months following the last class session
• Use subject-matter expertise and leverage additional resources appropriately to enhance the curriculum (i.e.: make arrangements for guest speakers, etc.)
• Design interactive and motivational online classroom activities to fully engage participants and to reinforce student learning (i.e.: design boards for labs, etc.)
• Update materials periodically, and regularly monitor course evaluations in order to make adjustments and improvements to the curriculum
Our curriculum is constantly updated and tailored to bring students the background, expertise, and business practices to remain competitive and advance their careers. Taught by qualified practitioners, our courses feature practical applications, underlying rationale, and current issues, all of which can be immediately utilized in and applied to our students’ work environments.
Part-time, temporary assignments are on an as-needed basis. We are looking specifically for instructors who are qualified to teach the following course as early as SPRING 2021 quarter.
This is an ONGOING recruitment. We accept part-time instructor applications all year long; when the division has a need to fill, they refer to the “pool” of applications on file.
Environmental Management Program Description:https://ce.uci.edu/areas/facilities/environmental/
Qualified instructors/experts are needed for a new program development. Topics of expertise include but are not limited to:
Principles of Environmental Management
Companies today need Environmental Managers equip to face and conquer the challenges of public health and safety, worker safety, compliance, budgets, labor force, company branding, marketing, and communications to mention a few. The following goals be implemented:
• Integrate environmental compliance into business
• Evaluate environmental business needs
• Understand how environmental compliance brings value
• Understand how to evaluate/influence decision makers
• Understand what stakeholders and investors desire
Environmental Management Systems (EMS)
The responsibility of managing complex environmental requirements can be overwhelming without having the right systems in place to identify, capture, train, inspect, report, and sustain the multitude of environmental programs impacting business and sites. Today the use of computers, environmental software systems, and mobile apps can provide solutions that environmental managers need to be successful. Learning about the available systems on the market, evaluating these systems, securing funding, procurement, setup, and implementation are key components that should be explored in such a course.
Environmental Leadership: Organizational Design and Programs
Environmental managers are leaders within their organizations. They must understand what environmental regulations affect their business. Environmental managers must know what programs need to be in place to address compliance requirements. They will need to develop an organizational design to cost effectively meet the complex compliance demands of federal, state, county, and local regulations in air quality, water quality, drinking water, storm water, hazardous substances, hazardous waste, spill prevention, spill cleanup, biological resources, cultural resources, avian protection, and land protection. Leading with vision while living out the values of accountability, collaboration, communication, community, innovation, integrity, leadership, quality, and respect.
To apply for this position, please click this link: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply/JPF06424
Individuals hired to teach these courses must understand that all such agreements with the University are made on a course-by-course basis and that the Instructor will be made no guarantee of continual involvement with the University in any capacity.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
• Advanced degree from an accredited institution
• Current knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency in subject area
• Must be committed to the highest level of academic standards and integrity
• Highly effective oral and written communication skills, including the ability to convey conceptual and complex ideas and information
• Highly effective interpersonal skills
• Proficiency in (or willingness to learn) the use of instructional technology and online teaching tools
• Current participation in professional associations
• Comfort in dealing with international professionals and students
• Experience designing/revising curriculum and measuring student performance
• College-level teaching experience (or the corporate equivalent)
• Prior online teaching
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter (Optional)
- 3 required (contact information only)