Open October 12th, 2020 through Monday, Oct 11, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Assistant or Associate Professor in Pharmaceutical Sciences
Apply via UC Irvine’s online application system, RECRUIT: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/JPF06442
Applications are invited for a position at the level of tenure-track ASSISTANT or ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR. The Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences (Pharm Sci) is highly interdisciplinary, with particular strength in chemical biology, structural biology, cancer biology, immunology and microbiology. Faculty of Pharm Sci benefit from participation in the UCI Cancer Research Institute (CRI), and the NCI-Designated Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center (CFCCC). We seek outstanding candidates with expertise in chemistry or chemical biology applied toward understanding novel and fundamental aspects of cancer biology and cancer chemical proteomics. Applicants employing cutting edge chemical methods to study drug-target interactions, developing small-molecule probes to interrogate and control cancer biology and metabolism, or study global small-molecule/global proteome interactions are especially encouraged. Applicants should hold a Ph.D., M.D., or equivalent degree, seek to establish a vigorous and highly competitive research program, and to contribute to teaching at both the graduate and undergraduate levels.
Review of applications will begin December 1, 2020, and this recruitment will remain open until position is filled.
Using the link provided above, please submit curriculum vitae, a description of research and teaching interests, and the names and addresses of three potential referees. A separate statement that addresses past and/or potential contributions to diversity, equity and inclusion is also required. Criteria for the research, teaching, and diversity statements are provided below.
Research Statement (3 pages). This statement should:
- Detail the candidate’s specific area of expertise, with a description of their contributions to the field.
- Provide a detailed plan of their future independent research program and how this program will be leveraged to obtain extramural funding.
- Indicate how the candidate’s research program will synergize with the research environment at UCI and the Pharm Sci Department, including the resources provided by the CRI and CFCCC.
Teaching Statement (1 page). This statement should:
- Indicate the candidate’s teaching experiences to date, including experience with teaching/lecturing to undergraduates/graduate students, or other populations, as well as their areas of interest. This should also include mentorship that they have given to others in the line of research or outreach activities.
- Detail the candidate’s teaching approaches and philosophies, as to how they will engage in effective teaching strategies.
- Provide evidence (if any) of effectiveness of previous teaching.
Diversity Statement (1 page). UC Statement on Diversity.
Applicants will be evaluated on their required statements of their contribution to diversity. This statement should:
- Indicate how the candidate has demonstrated awareness of the issues faced by historically underrepresented or economically disadvantaged groups and the benefits of a diverse and inclusive faculty.
- Provide evidence (if any) of the candidate’s track record and success in activities aimed at reducing barriers in education or research for underrepresented or disadvantaged groups.
- Detail specific plans (if any) to contribute through campus programs, new activities, or through national or off-campus organizations.
The University of California is committed to creating and maintaining a community dedicated to the advancement, application, and transmission of knowledge and creative endeavors through academic excellence, where all individuals who participate in University programs and activities can work and learn together in a safe and secure environment, free of violence, harassment, discrimination, exploitation, or intimidation. With this commitment as well as a commitment to addressing all forms of academic misconduct, UC Irvine conducts institutional reference checks for candidates finalists to whom the department or other hiring unit would like to extend a formal offer of appointment into Ladder Rank Professor or Professor of Teaching series, at all ranks (i.e., assistant, associate, and full). The institutional reference checks involve contacting the administration of the applicant’s previous institution(s) to ask whether there have been substantiated findings of misconduct that would violate the University’s Faculty Code of Conduct. To implement this process, UC Irvine requires all candidates of Ladder Rank Professor or Professor of Teaching series, at all ranks (i.e., assistant, associate, and full) to complete, sign, and upload the form entitled “Authorization to Release Information” into AP RECRUIT as part of their application. If the candidate does not include the signed authorization to release information with the application materials, the application will be considered incomplete. As with any incomplete application, the application will not receive further consideration. Although all applicants for faculty recruitments must complete the entire application, only finalists (i.e., those to whom the department or other hiring unit would like to extend a formal offer) considered for Ladder Rank Professor or Professor of Teaching series, at all ranks (i.e., assistant, associate, and full) positions will be subject to institutional reference checks.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy. A recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity, UCI is responsive to the needs of dual career couples, supports work-life balance through an array of family-friendly policies, and is dedicated to broadening participation in higher education.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter (Optional)
Statement of Research
Teaching Statement - See our guidance for writing a reflective teaching statement.
Inclusive Excellence Activities Statement - Statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to inclusive excellence will advance UCI's Commitment to Inclusive Excellence. See our guidance for writing an inclusive excellence activities statement.
Authorization to Release Information Form - A reference check will be completed only if you are made a tentative offer to a Professor or Professor of Teaching series, at any rank. Download, complete, sign, and upload the form: https://ap.uci.edu/wp-content/uploads/AuthReleaseForm.pdf
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3-5 required (contact information only)