Open date: December 18th, 2020
Next review date: Sunday, Jan 17, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Wednesday, Jan 20, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Addressing challenges related to systemic inequity at the School of Biological Sciences will require an experienced co-lead that is dedicated to actualizing the work of creating more inclusive spaces. That person must be well versed on the social, cultural, and empirically complex nature of STEM retention and persistence at postsecondary institutions (nationally) the University of California, Irvine (locally) and the School of Bio Sci (specifically). This individual will be responsible for working with students from underserved communities, conducting research related to STEM persistence for students from underrepresented populations, and conducting workshops, and other events, focused on enhancing faculty pedagogy to expand the reach of students that are folded into the fabric of institutional goals. Further, this leader will be responsible for building institutional, industrial, and community partnerships to strengthen the ecosystem focused on supporting systemically racially minoritized students, and in effect, all students, on their journeys in STEM. The role will report to, and work closely with the Associate Dean of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at the School of Biological Sciences, with all STEM schools, and UCI STEM support programs, to develop and implement strategies that support faculty, staff and students in Bio Sci. The role will assist with implementing the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion strategic plan, designing tools and resources for training, collecting and evaluating data from various sources, and developing data-driven recommendations. The role will also be principally involved in the design, deployment and evaluation of the DEI/climate survey. Utilizing a strengths base perspective, faculty, staff and students will be empowered to effect positive change related to Bio Sci education and culture.
Requirements: Doctorate degree in higher education or related disciplines, a minimum of ten years of experience in working with a diverse population developing programs, workshops and strategies focused on inclusive excellence and diversity. Experience in research related to STEM for underrepresented populations.
• In partnership with the Associate Dean of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion establishes strategic plans and objectives for organizational development, effectiveness, and strategic planning
• Is a subject matter expert on meaningful engagement in STEM between faculty, students, administrators and staff
• Establishes objectives and determines how to use resources to meet the goals of the Bio Sci DEI strategic priorities
• Identifies functional objectives for the organization and determines the resources necessary to achieve those objectives
• Represents Bio Sci in school campus-wide initiatives focused on anti-Blackness and systemic inequities
• Provides leadership, direction, and managerial oversight to achieve departmental goals
• Manages, prepares, administers and directs school-wide inclusive excellence training
• Supervises program staff and students and provides professional development opportunities for trainees interested in contributing to DEI initiatives
• Holds leadership roles on campus initiatives focused on bringing departments together to create programs, and strategies, that streamline efforts, opportunities and resources available to URM students in STEM
• Creates programming that imparts social and cultural capital to Bio Sci students
• Conducts presentations focused on inclusive pedagogy, and successful academic habits for URM students in STEM to faculty, administrators, students, and staff
• Enhances partnerships with UCI departments, community colleges, UCs, and industry partners to provide Bio Sci students with comprehensive support and resources
• Serves on the Board of National Organizations that focus on diversity and inclusion efforts for URM students in STEM
• Employ a research design that illuminates the experience of Bio Sci students
• Has extensive knowledge about pervasive research on meaningful engagement in STEM for URM communities, and strategies that may be employed to enhance inclusive spaces at the School of Bio Sci.
• Has extensive experience in developing and writing annual and quarterly reports, including grants, and evaluation designs. Extensive experience writing, evaluating, analyzing and interpreting a variety of data to enhance the academic and co-curricular experience of URM students in Bio Sci.
• Has excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to communicate with a variety of stakeholders.
Faculty and Administrative Support
• Curriculum design and implementation for cultural engagement modules
• Provides inclusive pedagogy workshops for faculty, administrators and teaching assistants to contextualize the experience of Bio Sci students from minoritized populations
• Strategizes on retention and persistence efforts utilizing empirical research, best practices, and emergent data on the experience of URM students
• Creates an ongoing Inclusive Pedagogy Speaker Series to demystify behaviors associated with inclusive academic spaces
• Facilitates faculty and staff consultations related to enhanced inclusive academic spaces and pedagogy
• Develop and maintain community building activities e.g., book club, inclusive spaces for discussion and reflection
• Creates programs and events focused narratives related that humanize the STEM experience,
• Creates courses that focuses on successful academic habits of mind, meaningful engagement in STEM, and graduate school preparation
• Provides community building activities for students in Bio Sci to positively influence the culture
• Outreaches to STEM professionals in industry and/or academia to diversify STEM representation provide professional development opportunities
• Provides space for URM students to voice their feedback on their experience in STEM to inform the work being done at the School of Bio Sci
• Conducts faculty, students, and administrator panels, discussions, and other events to ensure that their voices are at the center of the work being done at the school
• Represents Bio Sci by serving as a subject matter expert on campus-wide committees focused on addressing systemic inequity and anti-Blackness
• Creating partnerships between Bio Sci and other STEM schools and departments to create more inclusive environments for systemically racially minoritized students
• Lead talks, working groups, and campus projects focused on diversity, equity and inclusion
Research and Evaluation
• Prepare and submit NSF and other external funding grant proposals for STEM equity programs, Research Experience for Undergraduates, and Community Engagement programs
• Implement reporting structures to capture relevant data to inform the work of the unit
• Conduct empirical research on various STEM support programs and outcomes and publish results
• Conduct qualitative and quantitative analysis to inform programmatic efforts
• Provide recommendations to the Associate Dean of DEI at the School of Biological Sciences
Review of applications will begin on January 18, 2021, and the recruitment will remain open until filled. Qualified candidates should apply to the following on-line recruitment URL:
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter (Optional)
Statement of Research (Optional)
Teaching Statement - See our guidance for writing a reflective teaching statement.
Inclusive Excellence Activities Statement - Statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to inclusive excellence will advance UCI's Commitment to Inclusive Excellence. See our guidance for writing an inclusive excellence activities statement.
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3-5 required (contact information only)