Open date: March 10th, 2021
Last review date: Saturday, Apr 10, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Wednesday, Mar 9, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
At the University of California Irvine’s Department of Continuing Education – Technology Programs, our mission is to provide the best technical professional development courses online. We are focused on inspiring our students to learn new technical skills and shaping the future for their success. We are passionate about our education programs that support our students to fulfil their career goals and we are empowered to help thousands of people learn online every day.
The University of California Irvine’s Department of Continuing Education is currently looking for a dynamic Business Intelligence/Data Warehouse Instructor, with a broad technical base in data warehouse development, and operational business intelligence, who is ready to share this knowledge and passion.
A minimum of 7+ years of direct industry experience as a Technical Business Analyst, Business Intelligence Analyst, or Data Architect is required.
This is an online (remote working) part-time position, a commitment of 10 – 15 hours per week is required. Program information and course descriptions can be found on our website: https://ce.uci.edu/areas/it/data_warehousing/
Specific Instructor Duties
• Develop and/or update course syllabi in consultation with the UCI DCE Technology Programs Director, Assistant Director, and Program Manager as assigned and using approved syllabus template
• Prepare and deliver online course materials and learning assessments in the assigned format
• Utilize the Canvas Learning Management System as the course support platform
• Communicate teaching objectives and specific learning outcomes to students, and clearly outline the grading policies for the course
• Evaluate student achievement of specific learning outcomes, and assign grades
• Post final student grades to the transcript system by set deadlines
• Handle student inquiries about final grades and consult with Program Coordinator as needed
• Stay current regarding the professional body of knowledge in the field of practice
• Participate in required orientations and complete mandatory training programs by deadlines established by UC Irvine
• Complete required administrative tasks in a timely manner including: completing all hiring paperwork; submitting updated quarterly syllabi; posting bio and photo on the UCI DCE website; signing quarterly contract; ordering required texts; communicating AV and classroom needs
• Employ culturally competent teaching methodologies in the classroom inclusive of both domestic and international student populations
• Allow students to review their final exams/papers for up to 13 months following the last class session
• Use subject-matter expertise and leverage additional resources appropriately to enhance the curriculum (i.e.: make arrangements for guest speakers, etc.)
• Design interactive and motivational classroom activities to fully engage participants and to reinforce student learning
• Update materials periodically, and regularly monitor course evaluations in order to make adjustments and improvements to the curriculum
• Designs and develops a Business Intelligence/Data Warehouse course that is 100% up to date, meeting the latest industry standards
• Manages and delivers the course materials to students in an engaging thought-provoking manner in our online learning management system: Canvas
• Engage in meaningful online conversations and dialogue with students online in the learning management system, supporting their learning objectives and career goals
• Diligently respond to students needs and questions during the course schedule
• Acts as a technical mentor guiding students on a technical journey of discovery
Our curriculum is constantly updated and tailored to bring students the background, expertise, and business practices to remain competitive and advance their careers. Taught by qualified practitioners, our courses feature practical applications, underlying rationale, and current issues, all of which can be immediately utilized in and applied to our students’ work environments.
Part-time, temporary assignments are on an as-needed basis. This is an ONGOING recruitment. We accept part-time instructor applications all year long; when the division has a need to fill, we refer to the “pool” of applications on file. We are looking specifically for instructors who are qualified to teach the following course(s) as early as Summer 2021 quarter (beginning July 2021).
Individuals hired to teach these courses must understand that all such agreements with the University are made on a course-by-course basis and that the Instructor will be made no guarantee of continual involvement with the University in any capacity.
Technology Programs unit offers more than 200 professional courses in eighteen (18) certificate programs to over 3,550 students each year. Our students are largely newly graduated professionals and adult professionals working in full time positions who are seeking additional education that will enable them to update their skills, change careers, or prepare for industry certifications or exams. Our programs are designed to meet the needs of these business professionals at all levels of their careers, providing them with flexible enrollment options to initiate their professional development at any time throughout the year, without an application. As a result of our commitment to academic excellence, professionals can acquire the skills and knowledge they need to face a world of continual change. We are seeking world-class instructors who are experts in their fields, with extensive hands-on experience as business professionals and community leaders. Applications to teach are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the year to both fill immediate program needs, and to increase the depth of the instructor pool for future needs.
To apply for this position, please click this link: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/JPF06619
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
• Advanced degree from an accredited institution in a related topic
• Current knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency in subject area (data warehousing, business intelligence)
• Expert knowledge of database structure and implementation techniques
• Experience in both current and foundational concepts of data warehousing
• Proven experience in business process and data analytics, predictive, KPI, etc
• Familiarity with the following topics:
o Modeling Techniques (linear regression, logistic regression, decision trees)
o Query Languages (SQL, Python)
o Automation (SQL Stored Procedures, SSIS, APIs)
o Reporting (Excel, .Net, Microstrategy)
o Table and index management
o Developing data mappings, data extractions, data transformations that support the data warehouse environment.
• Analytical mindset, with the understanding of IT and business processes
• Critical thinking and problem solving skills
• Excellent understanding of business intelligence and data alignment
• Must be committed to the highest level of academic standards and integrity
• Highly effective oral and written communication skills, including the ability to convey conceptual and complex ideas and information
• Highly effective interpersonal skills
• Proficiency in (or willingness to learn) the use of instructional technology and online teaching tools
• Current participation in professional associations
• Comfort in dealing with international professionals and students
• Experience designing/revising curriculum and measuring student performance
• College-level teaching experience (or the corporate equivalent)
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- 3-5 required (contact information only)