Open date: March 9th, 2021
Last review date: Friday, Apr 9, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Tuesday, Mar 8, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Division of Continuing Education (DCE) is a self-supporting unit within the University of California. Funding is generated through fees collected from a diverse, complex, and ever-changing student population. Part-time instructor positions are on a course by course contracted basis. This is NOT a faculty position.
STAR (Success Through Academics and Research), within UCI’s Division of Continuing Education, seeks applicants for part-time course development and teaching positions in our quarterly programs for international students. Teachers will join a collegial, professional teaching environment that prizes excellence and has welcomed and instructed international students for more than 30 years. We serve students remotely and in person (in-person students hold full-time study visas) and focus primarily on building academic and study skills essential for university and graduate school success in the U.S. The vast majority of our students are preparing for entrance to American undergraduate and graduate programs.
The instructor for GRE will develop and deliver a fully online GRE course focusing on verbal, essay writing, and vocabulary building skills targeted to help students achieve their performance goals for the verbal and essay writing sections of the test. The instructor will design interactive and motivational online activities that fully engage students and reinforce student learning. They will work collaboratively with an instructional designer as well the STAR program unit to develop and deliver course materials, update and seek approval on syllabi, and manage variety of administrative academic procedures.
This class will be fully online, offered via the Canvas LMS. Course development will start on or after May 1, 2021 to meet the delivery deadline for the FA21 Quarter. Class weeks will run Sunday–Saturday and be offered asynchronously. Courses are conducted on a quarterly basis; teachers should be willing to commit for the entire quarter. Additionally, instructors will need to follow university guidelines for Covid-19 and flu mitigation should they decide to come on campus during the quarter for any reason.
To apply, please click this link: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/JPF06622
Individuals hired to teach these courses must understand that all such agreements with the University are made on a course-by-course basis and that the Instructor will be made no guarantee of continual involvement with the University in any capacity.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
RESPONSIBILITIES (include, but are not limited to, the following):
• Develop and/or update course syllabi in consultation with the assigned STAR Program Coordinator using the approved syllabus template
• Prepare and deliver course materials and learning assessments in the assigned format
• Communicate teaching objectives and specific learning outcomes to students, and clearly outline the grading policies for the course
• Utilize the Canvas Learning Management System as needed to enhance all modes of instruction
• Evaluate student achievement of specific learning outcomes, and assign grades
• Report students’ midterm progress and post final student grades to the transcript system by set deadlines
• Respond to student questions and learning needs in a timely manner
• Handle student inquiries about final grades and consult with the academic unit as needed
• Collaborate with the academic unit and other instructors as needed
• Contribute to academic coordination responsibilities, as needed
Approximate start date: On or after May 1st, 2021
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- 3-5 required (contact information only)