Open date: August 19th, 2021
Last review date: Saturday, Sep 18, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Friday, Dec 31, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Lee lab in the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at the University of California, Irvine invites applications for an Assistant Specialist. Our group studies how the widespread genetic parasites, transposable elements, influence genome function and evolution through epigenetic mechanisms. Toward this end, we combine functional genomics, computational biology, experimental genetics, and evolutionary biology.
Our lab is part of the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology (https://ecoevo.bio.uci.edu/), the Center for Evolutionary Genetics (https://evogen.bio.uci.edu/), and Center for Complex Biological Systems (https://ccbs.uci.edu/). More information about our research interests can be found at http://grylee.science/
Requirements for the position include:
- a B.S. in Biology or related degree
- at least one year independent experience with standard molecular biology techniques (e.g., DNA/RNA extractions, PCR, qPCR) in a research laboratory setting
- experience and demonstrated ability to execute complex protocols (e.g., Next-generation sequencing library preparation)
- attentive to details and strong organizing skills
- strong communication skills
- can work independently as well as collaboratively
- be comfortable working with fruit flies Preferences will be given to candidates with experience with functional genomics or Drosophila genetics.
Responsibilities of the position include
- execute and optimize molecular biology experiments for genomics studies
- maintain Drosophila culture and make genetic crosses
- maintain laboratory equipment and inventory (including ordering supplies)
- assist projects of other members of the lab when necessary
The initial appointment is for one year with potential extension and/or renewal based on work performance and availability of funding support.
Qualified candidates should submit curriculum vitae along with the names and contact information of three references to the following recruitment URL: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/JPF07080
Accepting all applicants
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter (Optional)
Statement of Research (Optional)
Inclusive Excellence Activities Statement - Statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to inclusive excellence will advance UCI's Commitment to Inclusive Excellence. See our guidance for writing an inclusive excellence activities statement.
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3-5 required (contact information only)
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.