Open date: August 24th, 2021
Most recent review date: Tuesday, Sep 7, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Wednesday, Aug 24, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Division of Continuing Education (DCE) is a self-supporting unit within the University of California. Funding is generated through fees collected from a diverse, complex, and ever-changing student population. Part-time instructor positions are on a course by course contracted basis. This is NOT a faculty position.
On-campus teaching positions are now available in the Accelerated Certificate Program in International Tourism and Hotel Management (ACP ITHM). We are seeking qualified instructors with current knowledge and work experience in international tourism, hotel management, and hospitality who can create an interactive and engaging learning environment for international students.
For this program, international students come to the UC Irvine campus to take classes related to international tourism and hotel management. For more detailed information about ACP ITHM, please visit http://ip.ce.uci.edu/programs/certificate-internship-programs/accelerated-certificate-programsacps/acp-international-tourism-hotel-management/. Course topics include: Hospitality and Tourism, Human Resources & Leadership for the Hospitality Professional, Accounting and Budgeting, Customer Service Management, Project and Event Management, and Strategic Marketing and Branding for the Hospitality Industry. All classes are on-ground, daytime classes that meet Monday–Friday. Currently, the courses in this program are taught in a dual delivery mode. Students who are unable to attend classes in person will attend class via zoom. Further details will be provided.
Specific Instructor Duties
● Develop and/or update course syllabi in consultation with the UCI DCE Education and Business
Program Coordinator as assigned and using approved syllabus template
● Prepare and deliver course materials and learning assessments in the assigned format
● Utilize the Canvas Learning Management System as the course support platform
● Communicate teaching objectives and specific learning outcomes to students, and clearly outline the grading policies for the course
● Evaluate student achievement of specific learning outcomes, and assign grades
● Post final student grades to the transcript system by set deadlines
● Respond to student questions and learning needs in a timely manner
● Handle student inquiries about final grades and consult with Program Coordinator and Director as needed
● Stay current regarding the professional body of knowledge in the field of practice
● Participate in required orientations and complete mandatory training programs by deadlines established by UC Irvine
● Complete required administrative tasks in a timely manner including: completing all hiring paperwork; submitting updated quarterly syllabi; signing quarterly contract; ordering required texts; communicating AV and classroom needs
● Employ culturally competent teaching methodologies in the classroom inclusive of both domestic and international student populations
● Use subject-matter expertise and leverage additional resources appropriately to enhance the curriculum (i.e.: make arrangements for guest speakers, off-site property tours, etc.)
● Design interactive and motivational classroom activities to fully engage participants and to reinforce student learning
● Update materials periodically, and regularly monitor course evaluations in order to make adjustments and improvements to the curriculum
Our curriculum is constantly updated and tailored to bring students the background, expertise, and business practices to remain competitive and advance their careers. Taught by qualified practitioners, our courses feature practical applications, underlying rationale, and current issues, all of which can be immediately utilized in and applied to our students’ work environments.
Part-time, temporary assignments are on an as-needed basis. This is an ONGOING recruitment. We accept part-time instructor applications all year long; when the division has a need to fill, we refer to the “pool” of applications on file.
Individuals hired to teach these courses must understand that all such agreements with the University are made on a course-by-course basis and that the Instructor will be made no guarantee of continual involvement with the University in any capacity.
● Master’s degree or higher from an accredited institution
● Extensive background and current work experience in tourism and hospitality
● Interest and willingness to teach an international student audience
● Proficiency in (or willingness to learn) the use of instructional technology and online teaching tools
● Local and available to teach on-ground, daytime classes during the week. Classes are taught either from 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM or 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- 3 required (contact information only)
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.