Open date: April 25th, 2022
Next review date: Tuesday, May 31, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Tuesday, May 31, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Applicants are invited to apply for a full-time postdoctoral position in the School of Education at the University of California, Irvine to support a research-practice partnership project focusing on improving youth’s opportunity to learn in secondary science classrooms.
Project overview & general summary of the position
This is a full-time postdoctoral researcher position funded by NSF CAREER project, “Expanding Latinxs' Opportunities to Develop Complex Thinking in Secondary Science Classrooms through a Research-Practice Partnership” (PI: Hosun Kang). This study will explore ways to transform youths' learning experiences in secondary school classrooms (grades 6-12) toward a more just, equitable, and sustainable future through co-design. The main activities of this project are: (1) co-designing and implementing equity and justice-centered science curricula; and (2) studying changes of the settings associated with expanding minoritized students’ opportunities to learn and become.
Position will begin in 2022, with the exact start date contingent on funding and the availability of the applicant.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
● Working collaboratively with district partners and UCI research team
● Facilitating partnership activities, such as maintaining communication and routines
● Co-designing and co-facilitating professional development activities
● Organizing, managing, and conducting data collection and analysis
● Mentoring graduate and undergraduate researchers working on the project
● Actively participate in scholarly communities through publication of research articles and presentation at professional conferences
● Ph.D in science education or a closely related field by start date of position
● Teaching experience, either at the secondary (6-12) or university level
● Experiences working in a research-practice partnership at the district level
● Experience working with middle and high school science teachers
● Record of publication in science education or teacher education
● Expertise in either qualitative or quantitative research methods
● Expertise in culturally relevant pedagogy or issues of race, identity, and languages
To Apply: Applications should be submitted online at https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/JPF07473
Please include: (a) a cover letter explaining your relevant background, interest in this project, and your career goals following postdoctoral work, (b) CV, (c) one page summary of your doctoral dissertation, (d) one writing sample, and (e) names and contact information of three references (please do not solicit letters)
Ph.D in science education or a closely related field by start date of position
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter - Please explain your relevant background, interest in this project, and your career goals following postdoctoral work.
One Page Summary of Doctoral Dissertation
- 3 required (contact information only)
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.