Part-Time Instructor: Human Resources
Open date: November 19, 2022
Most recent review date: Tuesday, Jan 3, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Friday, Mar 31, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Division of Continuing Education (DCE) is a self-supporting unit within the University of California. Funding is generated through fees collected from a diverse, complex, and ever-changing student population. Part-time instructor positions are on a course by course contracted basis. This is NOT a faculty position.
Online teaching positions are now available in the Human Resources Management Certificate Program. We are seeking qualified applicants possessing current knowledge and/or teaching experience in the topic of Human Resources.
Specific Instructor Duties
• Develop and/or update course syllabi in consultation with the UCI DCE Education & Business Programs Director as assigned and using approved syllabus template
• Prepare and deliver online course materials and learning assessments in the assigned format
• Utilize the Canvas Learning Management System as the course support platform
• Communicate teaching objectives and specific learning outcomes to students, and clearly outline the grading policies for the course
• Evaluate student achievement of specific learning outcomes, and assign grades
• Post final student grades to the transcript system by set deadlines
• Respond to student questions and learning needs in a timely manner
• Handle student inquiries about final grades and consult with Director as needed
• Stay current regarding the professional body of knowledge in the field of practice
• Participate in required orientations and complete mandatory training programs by deadlines established by UC Irvine
• Complete required administrative tasks in a timely manner including completing all hiring paperwork; submitting updated quarterly syllabi; posting bio and photo on the UCI DCE website; signing quarterly contract; ordering required texts; communicating AV and classroom needs
• Employ culturally competent teaching methodologies in the classroom inclusive of both domestic and international student populations
• Allow students to review their final exams/papers for up to 13 months following the last class session
• Use subject-matter expertise and leverage additional resources appropriately to enhance the curriculum (i.e.: make arrangements for guest speakers, etc.)
• Design interactive and motivational classroom activities to fully engage participants and to reinforce student learning
• Update materials periodically, and regularly monitor course evaluations in order to make adjustments and improvements to the curriculum
Our curriculum is constantly updated and tailored to bring students the background, expertise, and business practices to remain competitive and advance their careers. Taught by qualified practitioners, our courses feature practical applications, underlying rationale, and current issues, all of which can be immediately utilized in and applied to our students’ work environments.
Part-time, temporary assignments are on an as-needed basis. This is an ONGOING recruitment. We accept part-time instructor applications all year long; when the division has a need to fill, we refer to the “pool” of applications on file. We are looking specifically for instructors who are qualified to teach the
following course(s) as early as Fall 2023 quarter (beginning October 2023).
Course Description: Training & HR Development
Acquire the information and experience you need to identify your organization's training and development needs and master the processes necessary to develop, implement and evaluate effective training programs. You will gain an understanding of your role and responsibilities as a trainer, as well as the practical hands-on knowledge needed to implement a successful program through lectures, classroom discussions, and developing and presenting an actual training session in class. This course is excellent for training and human resources specialists as well as operating managers with significant human resources
Individuals hired to teach these courses must understand that all such agreements with the University are made on a course-by-course basis and that the instructor will be made no guarantee of continual involvement with the University in any capacity
• Master’s degree or higher from an accredited institution
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- 3 required (contact information only)
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California Policy on Vaccination Programs – With Updated Interim Amendments. All Covered Individuals under the policy must provide proof of receiving the COVID-19 Vaccine Primary Series or, if applicable, submit a request for Exception (based on Medical Exemption, Disability, Religious Objection, and/or Deferral based on pregnancy or recent COVID-19 diagnosis and/or treatment) no later than the applicable deadline. All Covered Individuals must also provide proof of receiving the most recent CDC-recommended COVID-19 booster or properly decline such booster no later than the applicable deadline. New University of California employees should refer to Exhibit 2, Section II.C. of the SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Attachment for applicable deadlines. All Covered Individuals must also provide proof of being up-to-date on seasonal influenza vaccination or properly decline such vaccination no later than the applicable deadline. Please refer to the Seasonal Influenza Vaccination Program Attachment. (Capitalized terms in this paragraph are defined in the policy.) Federal, state, or local public health directives may impose additional requirements.