Part-Time Instructor: Internship Experiences Courses
Open date: January 17, 2023
Most recent review date: Friday, Feb 10, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Wednesday, Jan 17, 2024 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Division of Continuing Education (DCE) is a self-supporting unit within the University of California. Funding is generated through fees collected from a diverse, complex, and ever-changing student population. Part-time instructor positions are on a course by course contracted basis. This is NOT a faculty position.
On campus teaching positions are now available in the Internship Experiences Program. We are seeking qualified applicants possessing current knowledge and/or teaching experience in the topics of career preparation and internship practicum.
Specific Instructor Duties
• Develop and/or update course syllabi in consultation with the UCI DCE Internship Experiences Manager as assigned and using approved syllabus template
• Prepare and deliver online course materials and learning assessments in the assigned format
• Utilize the Canvas Learning Management System as the course support platform
• Communicate teaching objectives and specific learning outcomes to students, and clearly outline the grading policies for the course
• Evaluate student achievement of specific learning outcomes, and assign grades
• Post final student grades to the transcript system by set deadlines
• Respond to student questions and learning needs in a timely manner
• Handle student inquiries about final grades and consult with Manager as needed
• Stay current regarding the professional body of knowledge in the field of practice
• Participate in required orientations and complete mandatory training programs by deadlines established by UC Irvine
• Complete required administrative tasks in a timely manner including: completing all hiring paperwork; submitting updated quarterly syllabi; posting bio and photo on the UCI DCE website; signing quarterly contract; ordering required texts; communicating AV and classroom needs
• Employ culturally competent teaching methodologies in the classroom inclusive of both domestic and international student populations
• Allow students to review their final exams/papers for up to 13 months following the last class session
• Use subject-matter expertise and leverage additional resources appropriately to enhance the curriculum (i.e.: make arrangements for guest speakers, etc.)
• Design interactive and motivational classroom activities to fully engage participants and to reinforce student learning
• Update materials periodically, and regularly monitor course evaluations in order to make adjustments and improvements to the curriculum
Our curriculum is constantly updated and tailored to bring students the background, expertise, and business practices to remain competitive and advance their careers. Taught by qualified practitioners, our courses feature practical applications, underlying rationale, and current issues, all of which can be immediately utilized in and applied to our students’ work environments.
Part-time, temporary assignments are on an as-needed basis. This is an ONGOING recruitment. We accept part-time instructor applications all year long; when the division has a need to fill, we refer to the “pool” of applications on file. We are looking specifically for instructors who are qualified to teach the following course(s) as early as spring 2023 quarter (beginning April 3, 2023).
Course Description: Resume Writing/Interviewing Workshop
Provide students with the skills to manage their internship searches effectively. Topics covered include: developing resumes and cover letters, self-assessment, conducting a job search, interviewing, correspondence, and research. Students will complete an online curriculum and participate in mandatory class meetings to apply their curriculum.
Course Description: Professional Internship
Internships are supervised non-paid positions in which students receive practical work experience in a variety of job functions including but not limited to: business, international business, economics, marketing, finance, engineering, information technologies, education, life sciences, project management, natural sciences, and social sciences. Local organizations and businesses offering internships do so with no obligation to provide compensation to interns. The internship is an academic and practical application of material studied previously in a certificate program or academic study program.
For more detailed information about this program please visit https://ip.ce.uci.edu/programs/certificate-internship-programs/internships/. Classes are held in the daytime and evening hours, with asynchronous online coursework through Canvas Learning Management System.
Individuals hired to teach these courses must understand that all such agreements with the University are made on a course-by-course basis and that the Instructor will be made no guarantee of continual involvement with the University in any capacity.
• Master’s degree from an accredited institution
• A minimum of 5 years of professional work experience in HR, career services or related subject area
• Current knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency in subject area
• Must be committed to the highest level of academic standards and integrity
• Highly effective oral and written communication skills, including the ability to convey conceptual and complex ideas and information
• Highly effective interpersonal skills
• Proficiency in (or willingness to learn) the use of instructional technology and online teaching tools
• Current participation in professional associations
• Comfort in instructing international students with wide ranges of backgrounds and experience
• College-level teaching experience (or the corporate equivalent)
• Experience utilizing Canvas or other Learning Management System
• Experience designing/revising curriculum and measuring student performance
• Master’s degree from an accredited institution
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter (Optional)
- 3-5 required (contact information only)
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California Policy on Vaccination Programs – With Updated Interim Amendments. All Covered Individuals under the policy must provide proof of receiving the COVID-19 Vaccine Primary Series or, if applicable, submit a request for Exception (based on Medical Exemption, Disability, Religious Objection, and/or Deferral based on pregnancy or recent COVID-19 diagnosis and/or treatment) no later than the applicable deadline. All Covered Individuals must also provide proof of receiving the most recent CDC-recommended COVID-19 booster or properly decline such booster no later than the applicable deadline. New University of California employees should refer to Exhibit 2, Section II.C. of the SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Attachment for applicable deadlines. All Covered Individuals must also provide proof of being up-to-date on seasonal influenza vaccination or properly decline such vaccination no later than the applicable deadline. Please refer to the Seasonal Influenza Vaccination Program Attachment. (Capitalized terms in this paragraph are defined in the policy.) Federal, state, or local public health directives may impose additional requirements.