International Programs, within UCI’s Division of Continuing Education, seeks applicants for part-time ESL teaching positions primarily in our intensive-English program in 2017-2018, but for our 4-Week and custom programs, as well. Teachers will join a collegial, professional teaching environment that prizes excellence and has welcomed and trained international students for more than 30 years. Our students hold full-time study visas and focus primarily on building academic skills. Classes include grammar, writing, reading, speaking & listening, and a range of elective topics. Instruction may also include test-prep classes, English for Specific Purposes (e.g. Business English, STEM), or American cultural topics. Part-time teachers are offered classes on a by-quarter basis and may teach up to an average of 10 hours a week. Teaching assignments are made a few days before classes begin and are based on student enrollments.
All classes are on-ground ESL classes. Classes meet Monday–Friday and are scheduled variously between 8:00a.m. and 6:00p.m.
Job location: Irvine, California
Teaching rate: $40 per teaching hour
Service Period Dates:
• Summer 2017 10-Week IEP: June 28–September 7
• Summer 2017 4-Week Conversation & Culture: July, August, September
• Summer 2017 4-Week Business English: July, August, September
• Summer 2017 2- to 4-Week custom-designed programs for high-schoolers
• Fall 2017 10-Week IEP: October 4-December 14
• Winter 2018 10-Week IEP: January 10-March 22
• Winter 2018 4-Week Conversation & Culture: January, February
• Winter 2018 4-Week Business English: January, February
• Spring 2018 10-Week IEP: April 4-June 14
Part-time, temporary assignments are on an as needed basis. This is an ONGOING recruitment. We accept part-time instructor applications all year long; when the division has a need to fill, they refer to the pool of applications on file. We are looking specifically for instructors who are qualified to teach the following course as early as summer quarter (beginning late June, 2017).
• Master’s degree in TESOL or Applied Linguistics, or in a closely-related field with a TESL certificate
• Minimum three years of successful ESL teaching experience including intensive English or similar with international students
• Proficiency in English suitable to the position
• Ability to work in the United States
• Proficiency in a second language
• Experience living abroad
• Current active involvement in the field (TESOL, CATESOL).
• Demonstrated excellence in teaching a wide range of ESL (IEP) levels and skills
• Proven record of contributing to a supportive team environment
• Experience with computer-aided instruction and Learning Management Systems
• Experience teaching English for Specific Purposes
• Experience teaching high-school students
• Experience preparing students for TOEFL, IELTS, SAT, GRE, and/or GMAT
Specific Instructor Duties
• Teach excellently and with enthusiasm
• Participate in required orientations, and complete mandatory training programs by UC Irvine-established deadlines
• Attend pre-program class-planning meeting
• Attend two teacher meetings and the quarterly day-long in-service
• Become familiar with and follow program’s Instructor Handbook and curricular guidelines
• Submit all required hiring and class paperwork by set deadlines
• Communicate teaching objectives and specific learning outcomes to students, and clearly outline the grading policies for the course
• Evaluate student achievement of specific learning outcomes, and assign grades
• Design interactive and motivational classroom activities with a communicative aim to fully engage participants and to reinforce student learning
• Attend awards/graduation ceremony after classes on program’s final day
Applications should be submitted online and must include:
- Cover letter
- Updated Curriculum Vitae (including educational degrees, teaching sites, inclusive teaching dates, number of hours taught per week, professional organization membership and level of activity)
- Names and contract information of three current/former teaching supervisors
Resumes are reviewed as they are submitted. Qualified applicants will receive an interview as the need develops and the applicant is available to teach available class(es).
To apply for this position, please click this link: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply/JPF03962
Individuals hired to teach these courses must understand that all such agreements with the University are made on a course-by-course basis and that the Instructor will be made no guarantee of continual involvement with the University in any capacity.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated Curriculum Vitae (including educational degrees, teaching sites, inclusive teaching dates, number of hours taught per week, professional organization membership and level of activity)
- 3 required (contact information only)