The Center for Land, Environment, and Natural Resources (CLEANR) at the UC Irvine School of Law seeks an Environmental and Land Use Fellow to help develop the Center's programming, and conduct legal research and writing on cutting-edge environmental law issues.
Working under the supervision of the Center's Faculty Director, Advisory Committee, and staff attorney, the Environmental and Land Use Fellow will help in the development of the Center's research, educational, and public engagement programming. As part of the Center's innovative Workshop Roundtable Series, the Fellow will engage in policy-relevant legal and social science research and writing on a range of emerging environmental legal issues; communicate and work with expert workshop participants; and help in the organization of dialogue sessions. This is a one-year, non-renewable position.
CLEANR promotes scholarship, education, community outreach, and public engagement on issues such as environmental health, pollution control, land use, natural resources, public lands, marine protection, food security, and energy law. The Center builds on UCI Law's strong environmental faculty, its Environmental Law Clinic, and the University's and Law School's commitment to the interdisciplinary study of environmental problems.
The Center seeks to:
• Support interdisciplinary research aimed at revealing and addressing intractable environmental problems;
• Create programs and other educational opportunities through which to disseminate information and facilitate dialogue about environmental issues;
• Build advocacy networks among academics, students, activists, and policy makers that will play a leading role in framing debates, developing solutions, and challenging existing policies and practices where they fall short in protecting the environment;
• Involve and engage UCI Law students in these research, educational, and public engagement activities;
• Increase dialogue and promote collaboration among stakeholders about concrete conflicts over land use or environmental issues locally and globally; and
• Build collaboration and synergies with other centers and initiatives at UC Irvine.
Center programming has included public, practitioner-focused and interdisciplinary conferences; a speaker series; a literature and film series; an international interdisciplinary summer institute for future sustainability leaders. In addition, the Center has developed a workshop round table series that convenes a wide range of leading policymakers, legal practitioners, activists and researchers from governmental agencies, industry, and non-governmental organizations to produce action-oriented policy papers, propose legislation, and complete important academic research.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue through December 20, 2017. To ensure full consideration, applications and supporting materials must be received by November 27, 2017. The Fellowship will begin in January.
Please go to the following link to apply for this position: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply/JPF04352
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy. A recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity, UCI is responsive to the needs of dual career couples, supports work-life balance through an array of family-friendly policies, and is dedicated to broadening participation in higher education.
For more information about the University of California, Irvine School of Law, visit: www.law.uci.edu.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to diversity will advance UCI's Commitment to Inclusive Excellence.
Writing Sample - Please include a recent writing sample with your materials.