At the University of California Irvine’s Department of Continuing Education – Technology Programs, our mission is to provide the best technical professional development courses online. We are laser focused on inspiring our students to learn new technical coding skills and shaping the future for their success. We are passionate about our education programs that support our students to fulfil their career goals and we are empowered to help thousands of people learn online every day.
The University of California Irvine’s Department of Continuing Education is currently looking to hire two new Mobile Instructors with a broad technical base in mobile application development, who are ready to share this knowledge and passion for building awesome mobile applications.
We are fundamentally an education organization, so if you do not have experience in teaching a mobile class online before, do not worry. We are here to help and can bridge the gap in supporting our new instructors learn the ropes.
Ideally you should be experienced in mobile application development, iOS, Android or both with a minimum of 5+ years of agency mobile development experience.
This is an online (remote working) part-time position, a commitment of 10 – 15 hours per week is all that is required, so full-time professionals can definitely apply.
• Experience in engineering, releasing and supporting Android and iOS applications.
• Familiarity/experience with Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL and AWS
• Proficient in use of git and Github
• Expertise with HTML/XHTML, CSS, AJAX
• XML, JSON, Web Service technologies, and data structure fundamentals
• Responsive development techniques
• Expert understanding with Java/J2EE, Spring, and SQL
• Bachelor degree or Masters in Computer Science or equivalent experience
• Works alongside The Director of Technology Programs to develop new course content for Spring 2018
• Designs and develops a Mobile Application Development course that is 100% up to date, meeting the latest industry standards
• Skills up new students who have never built a mobile application before using the latest development technologies and programming languages
• Manages and delivers the course materials to students in an engaging thought-provoking manner in our online learning management system: Canvas
• Optimize and be flexible to change the course to suit the needs of your students and new technologies semester after semester
• Engage in meaningful online conversations and dialogue with your students online in the learning management system, supporting their learning objectives and career goals
• Diligently respond to students needs and questions during the course schedule
• Acts as a technical mentor guiding students on a technical journey of discovery
Course development: 80 hours
Commitment: 10 – 12 hrs a week for 12 weeks, every teaching quarter.
Course Description: An Introduction to Mobile Application Development
This course teaches students from the beginning how to develop a mobile web application, from scratch. Students will learn about mobile application development, market opportunities, and technical requirements for Apple (iOS), Google (Android) and Microsoft (Mobile 8). Course focuses on installing, developing, testing, and distributing mobile applications. Develop practical experience within all three platforms and implement a sample application in a platform of choice. Challenges including limited screen sizes, memory issues, and the variety of phones will also be discussed. Compare and contrast products designed by major vendors using a hands-on approach.
To apply for this position, please click this link: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply/JPF04370
Individuals hired to teach these courses must understand that all such agreements with the University are made on a course-by-course basis and that the Instructor will be made no guarantee of continual involvement with the University in any capacity.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- 3 required (contact information only)