Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
At the University of California Irvine’s Department of Continuing Education – Technology Programs, our mission is to provide the best technical professional development courses online. We are laser focused on inspiring our students to learn new technical coding and web design skills, shaping the future for their success. We are passionate about our education programs that support our students to fulfil their career goals and we are empowered to help thousands of people learn online every day.
The University of California Irvine’s Department of Continuing Education is currently looking to hire a multi-talented web design instructor who has an expertise is a variety of web design technologies. A designer who is obsessively detail orientated, who takes a design first approach, who is professionally dedicated to use the very latest design methods and tools that can make the design process simply awesome. Some who has a passion for constantly learning new ways to design and create amazing customer experiences!
No former online teaching experience is necessary.
Ideally we are looking for a minimum of 3 – 5 years of Web Design experience, however, let your passion and industry knowledge be your guide.
• A burning passion for all things web design from tools, to technology to methodologies
• A design first approach when solving customer problems
• An ability to confidently talk about design technologies and why some technologies are used over others
• The knowhow to clearly and concisely present ideas from an initial sketch to developing a full web design mock-up
• Experience design for web and mobile
• Knowledge of UX/UI a plus
This position will allow you to explore your current web design knowhow and put your skills to the test. You will be responsible for working with the Director of Technology Programs to design a new web design course for 2018 from the ground up, with a particular emphasis on the following technologies:
• Adobe Cloud Creative
• CSS3 and ES6
• Webpack and Adobe Creative Suite
• Responsive Development Experience
• Knowledge of AngularJS, Polymer, Closure or Backbone.
• Works alongside The Director of Technology Programs to develop new course content for Spring 2018
• Designs and develops a Web Design course that is 100% up to date, meeting the latest industry standards
• Skills up new students who have never designed a website or mobile application before before using the latest development technologies and programming languages
• Manages and delivers the course materials to students in an engaging thought-provoking manner in our online learning management system: Canvas
• Optimize and be flexible to change to suit the needs of your students and new technologies semester after semester
• Engage in meaningful online conversations and dialogue with your students online in the learning management system, supporting their learning objectives and career goals
• Diligently respond to students needs and questions during the course schedule
• Acts as a design mentor guiding students on a technical journey of discovery
Course development: 80 hours
Commitment: 10 – 12 hrs a week for 12 weeks, every teaching quarter.
Course Description: In this capstone course, concepts are pulled from each of the core classes in the Web Design Certificate Program to help participants learn the process of creating a professional website while working on their own web project. From assessing and creating a design document, to creating a wireframe, templates, drafts, and final versions of a website, participants will follow a structured design process to plan and build a professional website. Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) is used to render all web applications from the simplest to the most complex. So, it is important to know how HTML works. This course introduces HTML "building blocks" and allows participants to build a website step-by-step. Topics covered include web development tools, text formatting, page formatting, images, lists, links, tables, introduction to CSS, xHTML, HTML validation, and limitations of HTML.
To apply for this position, please click this link: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply/JPF04374
Individuals hired to teach these courses must understand that all such agreements with the University are made on a course-by-course basis and that the Instructor will be made no guarantee of continual involvement with the University in any capacity.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- 3 references required (contact information only)
How to apply
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information