Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The University of California, Irvine (UCI) invites nominations and applications for the Susan and Henry Samueli Endowed Chair in the School of Medicine.
The University of California, Irvine received an historic gift from Susan and Henry Samueli in September 2017. This transformational contribution allowed for the naming and establishment of the Susan and Henry Samueli College of Health Sciences, which is focused on interdisciplinary integrative health. As the first university-based health sciences enterprise to incorporate integrative health research, teaching, education, and patient care amongst its schools and programs, The Susan and Henry Samueli College of Health Sciences is a vital and evolving part of the University of California, Irvine and the surrounding communities.
Applicants for the Susan and Henry Samueli Endowed Chair in the School of Medicine should have an exemplary track record of improving health and wellness through understanding biological effects of, and/or have experience in clinical translational studies of complementary health interventions, which is defined by the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH) as using non-mainstream practice together with conventional medicine.
Investigators who have interest and experience in the following areas are encouraged to apply:
• Biological effects and mechanisms of action underlying complementary health approaches
• Studies intended to identify and validate objective endpoints or biomarkers, assess and measure adherence or treatment fidelity, and otherwise strengthen the design of subsequent clinical trials of complementary health approaches
• Studies of the contribution to improved health and wellness made by complementary health interventions. These would include, but not be limited to, investigations of the impact of complementary health modalities including diet and exercise, nutritional supplements, acupuncture, mind-body and interventions in alleviating chronic disease, chronic pain syndromes, inflammatory processes, metabolic disorders, sleep, and improving health and wellness.
Applicants should be qualified for appointment as associate or full professor with tenure. Endowed Chairs will be held for review after 5 years and have a University FTE, in addition to endowed Chair funds.
Applicants must have an MD, PhD or MD/PhD degree. Application materials should include a curriculum vitae, a one-page letter of interest, a statement of research, and a separate statement that addresses past and potential contributions to diversity, equity and inclusion. Applicants may complete an online application profile and upload their CV and application materials electronically.
To apply please visit:
Application review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated CV
Letter of Interest
Statement of Research
Statement of Teaching - See our guidance for writing a reflective teaching statement.
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to diversity will advance UCI's Commitment to Inclusive Excellence.
- 3 required (contact information only)
How to apply
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information