Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Online teaching positions are now available in the Embedded Systems Engineering Certificate Programs. We are seeking qualified applicants possessing current knowledge and/or teaching experience in the topics of (1) Logic Design and Analysis using Verilog and (2) VHDL Design and Modeling of Digital Systems – for a potential combination of these topics into one course, (3) Fundamentals of Embedded and (4) C Programming for Embedded Systems
Specific Instructor Duties
• Develop and/or update course syllabus in consultation with the UCI Division of Continuing Education (DCE), Engineering, Sciences, and IT Programs Director as assigned using approved syllabus template
• Prepare and deliver course materials and learning assessments in assigned format (online)
• Utilize the Canvas Learning Management System as the course support platform
• Communicate teaching objectives and specific learning outcomes to students, and clearly outline the grading policies for the course
• Evaluate student achievement of Specific Learning Outcomes and assign grades
• Post final student grades to the transcript system within their instructor accounts in a timely manner no later than 2 weeks after the last date of course meeting
• Respond to student questions and learning needs in a timely manner
• Handle student inquiries about final grades and consult with Director as needed
• Communicate with Program Director, Program Representatives and Online Course Managers in a timely manner
• Stay current regarding the professional body of knowledge in project management
• Participate in required orientations and complete mandatory training programs by deadlines established by UC Irvine
• Complete required administrative tasks in a timely manner including: Initial training of Canvas learning system; providing bio for website; completing all hiring paperwork; submitting updated quarterly syllabus; and signing quarterly contract.
• Develop and maintain curriculum, syllabus, modules, learning practice questions, exams and grading.
• Employ culturally competent teaching methodologies in the online classroom inclusive of both domestic and international student populations
• Allow students to review their final exams/papers for up to 13 months following the last class session
• Use subject-matter expertise and leverage additional resources appropriately to enhance the curriculum (i.e.: make arrangements for guest speakers, etc.)
• Design interactive and motivational online classroom activities to fully engage participants and to reinforce student learning (i.e.: design boards for labs, etc.)
• Update materials periodically, and regularly monitor course evaluations in order to make adjustments and improvements to the curriculum
Our curriculum is constantly updated and tailored to bring students the background, expertise, and business practices to remain competitive and advance their careers. Taught by qualified practitioners, our courses feature practical applications, underlying rationale, and current issues, all of which can be immediately utilized in and applied to our students’ work environments.
Part-time, temporary assignments are on an as-needed basis. This is an ONGOING recruitment. We accept part-time instructor applications all year long; when the division has a need to fill, they refer to the “pool” of applications on file. We are looking specifically for instructors who are qualified to teach the following course as early as WINTER 2019 quarter (beginning January 7, 2019):
Logic Design and Analysis using Verilog (3 units)
Expand your knowledge of gate level modeling, data flow modeling, behavior modeling, advanced modeling techniques, test benches, and logic synthesis. Learn the essentials of the Verilog hardware description language, syntax, and practical design scenarios. Participants learn fundamental and advanced usage of Verilog as a design capture and simulation development tool, and the use of the Programming Language Interface (PLI). The course will emphasize how Verilog is used in each step of the design automation process.
VHDL Design and Modeling of Digital Systems (3 units)
Familiarize yourself with the analysis and synthesis of digital systems using VHDL to simulate and realize VLSI systems. Participants learn the fundamental concepts of VHDL and practical design techniques. The VHDL methodology and design flow for logic synthesis addresses design issues related to component modeling, data flow description in VHDL and behavioral description of hardware. An emphasis is placed on understanding the hardware description language, VHDL design techniques for logic synthesis, design criteria, and VHDL applications.
Fundamentals of Embedded Linux (3 units)
Further your understanding of Linux and its adoption as an embedded OS platform. Gain an overview of methods and techniques to design and create embedded systems based on the Linux kernel. The essentials of the Linux operating system are discussed from the embedded system point of view including selecting, configuring, cross-compiling, installing a target-specific kernel; licenses; drivers and subsystems; the GNU development toolchain; and tools used to build embedded Linux system
C Programming for Embedded Systems (1.5 CEU)
Embedded firmware can be found in many electronic devices today. Increase your understanding of the essential embedded language features required for embedded systems programming. Embedded firmware developers benefit from this hands-on course by expanding their knowledge of using pointers and arrays, bit manipulation, using key words such as" volatile" and "register", and learning more about source code solutions to common embedded firmware problems. We will also learn some best practices in firmware design, such as revision control, code review and debugging.
To apply for this position, please click this link:
Individuals hired to teach these courses must understand that all such agreements with the University are made on a course-by-course basis and that the Instructor will be made no guarantee of continual involvement with the University in any capacity.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- 3 required (contact information only)
How to apply
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information