Skip to main content

Assistant Project Scientist - Chesler Lab

Position overview

Salary range: A reasonable estimate for this position is $93,700 -$117,600 annual.

Application Window

Open date: February 20, 2024

Most recent review date: Friday, Mar 22, 2024 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.

Final date: Sunday, Jun 30, 2024 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.

Position description

The UCI Department of Biomedical Engineering (BME) in the Henry Samueli School of Engineering is currently accepting applications for an Assistant Project Scientist in the laboratory of Professor Naomi Chesler (, who directs the Edwards Lifesciences Foundation Cardiovascular Innovation and Research Center ( The position is funded by multiple extramural grants addressing topics related to experimental cardiopulmonary mechanobiology and biomechanics, especially right ventricular and pulmonary vascular structure and function. Approximately 60% of the time will be spent designing and implementing original research experiments and analyzing resulting data, assisting in the creation of new grant applications, and writing original manuscripts. The remaining 40% of their time will be devoted to the organization and management of the lab, which will includes maintenance of equipment, ordering supplies and managing inventory, and mentoring junior researchers (e.g., undergraduate and graduate students). The initial appointment will be full-time, for a 12-month period.

Requirements: A PhD in biomedical engineering, physiology or related field, demonstrated skills in small animal experiments and cellular/molecular assays, excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, and strong communication (oral and written) skills.

Salary is commensurate with qualifications and years of experience.

Application Procedure: Applicants will need to upload curriculum vitae, name/addresses of at least two references and cover letter expressing area(s) of interest to our online RECRUIT system at


Basic qualifications (required at time of application)
  1. PhD in biomedical engineering, physiology or related field.

Application Requirements

Document requirements
  • Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.

  • Cover Letter

  • Sexual Misconduct, Harassment and Discrimination Declaration Form - All applicants of academic positions at the University of California, Irvine must download, complete, sign, and upload the following form with their application: Sexual Misconduct, Harassment and Discrimination Declaration Form

  • Misc / Additional (Optional)

Reference requirements
  • 3 required (contact information only)
Apply link:

About UC Irvine

The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.

As a University employee, you will be required to comply with all applicable University policies and/or collective bargaining agreements, as may be amended from time to time. Federal, state, or local government directives may impose additional requirements.

Job location

Irvine, CA